Old 08-21-2012, 12:15 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Default 3100 fuel gauge

Another question while I'm on here.
My 04 Maxum 3100 is supposed to have a 150 gallon fuel tank, when the guage shows empty I can only get in 100 gallons of fuel. Is this normal to have 1/3 of a tank left when the gauge reads empty. Or is my tank only 100 gallons.

Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:25 AM   #2
Captain

i'm sure its a 150 gallon tank, and it shows 1/4 when your running on plane...... with 50 gallons.

next time your go to empty, and you know you have 50 gallons, run it more and see if the gauge goes past the mark, and onto the letter E.

i'm a strong believer in " if it any broke, don't fix it".....

pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:41 AM   #3
Lieutenant

Thanks pascavone, I don't remember checking it while on plane but if I get it back in the water this season I will check. Damn thing won't plane with 1 engine.
Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:05 AM   #4
Lt. Commander

That's probably your sending unit that's not reading correctly, I have the same issue with mine but I have 2 tanks and 2 gauges so I just go by the one that's right.
rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #5

Could be a problem with the flaot. Could be a problem with the sensor. I rarely, if ever go below 1/2 tank. Lately, I've been running between 1/3 and 3/4. I noticed that my guage reads much higher when running between 2K and full on plane. I also found out the hard way that my guage reads about +/- 15 % lower than what is actually in the tank. I then noticed that the inaccurracy only seems to be when the boat is stopped or at headway speeds. Initially, I suspected that it was reading higher when running between 2K and 3800K. I suspected the running attitude was sloshing fuel to the back of the tank and making it read higher than it was. I was incorrect. At rest, it reads lower than what is really there, and when running above 2K is actually reading accurately. (As accurate as a boat fuel guage can read).

Not sure that helps, but it certainly sounds inline with what you're experiencing.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote