Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-28-2021, 09:55 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default 2800scr listing to port (3 batteries)

Hello fellow Maxum owners - any suggestions please:
I've got three 27 series batteries on the port side (recently added an extra house)
With one big battery for the engine plus 2 for the house. The boat now lists to port. It"s more of an aesthetic issue but the boat does looks a little funny leaning to port. If I fill the water tank (starboard), the boat evens however, for (weight) gas mileage reasons, I don't hold a lot water in the tank and find little reason to do so other than when we're on the hook. Even then, I only need a little water for incidental cleaning.
Questions: Should I worry about the list and could it be a performance problem navigating through heavier water?
Might I just re-route the cables and batteries to starboard?
thanks
GeorgeK

George K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 12:55 PM   #2

Depending on the model year, in the late 90's, the galley cabinets, fridge and all of their contents are also to port. Unless they changed things in your model. On my 1999 2800 SCR the water heater was also port side of center as well.

I used to keep full water, and mounted a motor mount for my 2HP dinghy motor to Stbd.

You'd be better off balancing the load by relocating batteries. Water weight is variable, battery weight is constant. Ballast should be static in it properties and location.

As for issues with handling, that is what they make trim tabs for. Though in cases where I needed a significant amount of tab on only one side to balance a list, I could feel the boat pulling to the side. Much like dragging a paddle while sitting in the stern of a canoe. Fighting it with the wheel gave a weird sensation like the boat was trying to twist a little. Like revving a old sixties big block. It might have been a illusion though. I suspect what was probably a more accurate analogy is a car ridding down the road with the wheels badly out of alignment. It was rarely to be in that situation though.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 05:50 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Talking Thanks again Shrew

Good winter/spring project (cable batteries from port to starboard). The list has been bugging me since purchasing the boat in 2018. It was amplified when I added the extra house battery - those 27’s weigh a lot.
The bonus is that now I’ll have more space under the engine lid on port.
Shrew, when it comes to boats, you’re like Yoda!
GeorgeK
George K is offline   Reply With Quote