Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-09-2012, 05:35 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Smile 2800 Owners and similar...ideas

Hey guys, just took delivery of our 1999 2800 SCR. Super excited. This is my 3rd boat. It is also the largest boat I have owned. I come from a family where my father has always had a boat. From a 30" sailboat when we were kids to a 57" sailboat now, grandfather owned many 30-40" powerboats/cruisers.

This is my first cruiser. I finally have the wife "on board" with the boating idea and want some inspiration or ideas for what to do with our new boat. We will be cruising the upper chesapeake.

The boat is pristine, one owner, new motor, newer drive, new glass and canvas...and the gel coat was kept in great condition. Now I want to take this boat and add some amenities that the family can enjoy. Some questions that I have are:

What is the best way to hook a tow package to the boat...as in towing a tube. I do not see a tow ring.

Also any ideas on mounting fishing pole holders in the gunnels. Is it wide enough? or do most of you mount them on the rails. I would also like to mount the grill in the fishing rod holder on the side of the boat.

TV...I have seen some mounted to the head bulkhead facing the v-berth and dinette. Easy to do?

I would like some ideas on making this new boat of ours a more comfortable boat to hang out on for 2-3 days.

I have browsed many of the threads and have gotten some great ideas. I would just like to know if some of the other 2800 owners or others have any ones in particular that you think we would benefit from. Some of the 'must haves' for a 2-4 day trip out on the water.

Lastly, anchors and the windlass. The boat has a windlass, but the anchor chute is bent up and retrieving the anchor takes some prodding to get the anchor to line up with the chute properly. The chute seems too small for the spreader and may not be the correct one for the danforth anchor that came with the boat.

Thanks to all in advance for ideas, we are looking forward to a great start on the chesapeake. Also any fellow chesapeake boaters, I would love to hear about your favorite places to go, day trips, weekend trips, outings and events.

Thanks

rcswando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #2

Welcome aboard RCSWANDO and congrats on the new purchase. Here are a couple of thoughts:

Tow Sports: You can purchase a 'bridle' which clips into the pad eyes underneath the swim platform along the transom, then connect the tow rope to the bridle. Here is an example of one:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...6&merchID=4006

Rod Holders: This is a great boat, however it is by no means a fishing boat. It's got a swim platform in the way, seating across the back of the transom and no place to mount. About the ony place you could put rod holders would be rail mounted rod holders.

Grill: rail mounted works great.

Bow Roller: A windlass really needs a bow roller that is 'self-launching'. If you're is tweaked and not self launching, I'd look at replacing it with one.

Extended Stays: Water, Holding Tank and Battery Capacity for the house battery will be you limitations. In my 2800, I find that we need to pump out the holding tank every other day. I frequent anchorages which have pump out boats that will come around and pump you out. Otherwise you might find you need to pull up anchor and get pumped out periodically. I keep some collapsable water jugs to take to somewhere where i can fill them. Most dinghy docks and gas pumps will allow you to fill potable water. A generator will help with recharging the battery. conservative use of power will as well (at night leave only lights that are necessary on). Considering replacing bulbs with LED. Consider getting an LED/12V tv versus using a inverter. Inverters are incredibly inefficient. Also turn the fridge down to 2.5-3 when on the anchor. Consider increasing house bank. I have a group 31 AGM batt. for house and I'm considering adding a second one or going with a larger battery or even 6V in series (technically parallel-series.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
Admiral

welcome to the zoo.....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:29 AM   #4
Lt. JG

Thanks Shrew. Good info. The AGM battery, do you have a preference? What is the benefit of changing both to 31 AGM's. I was looking at the prices and I have seen them vary from $170-$380.

As far as rod holders, I should have been more specific. We are not serious fisher's, I was more looking at having a flush mount so that I could double it as a grill mount. I looked at the boat today and the gunnels look a little tight to fit a flush mount rod holder. So I will take your advice and probably go with the rail mounted.

thank you for your input!
Old 04-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
Commander

We have a rail mounted Magma, like it a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Powell 12-3.jpg  
oldno7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #6

There are a lot of benefits to AGM batteries IMHO. They hold a charge without a trickle charger for months on end. They recharge faster. They are completely sealed, no offgassing. They hold more AH (Amp hours). They can be recharged from dead adn continue maintaining AH capacity and charge (unlike lead acid, that will die after repeated depletions). They are impervious to shock. Group 31's are the same footprint as a group 27, however the g31's have more plates and typically thicker plates, though this does make them heavier. Group 31's have higher AH, and even the deep cell marine's have higher cranking amps (technically this makes them a dual purpose batt.) I hve no real need for a Group 31 Deep Cell starting battery. I was actually thinking about going with a group 27 AGM Starting battery and moving the other Group 31 over to my house to double the capacity.

I use Lifeline batteries, but they're not cheap.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

I echo Shrews take on AGM's.

Many people feel that you need a dedicated "starting" battery but I have never had a problem starting the engine using the AGM.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:29 AM   #8
Lt. JG

Thanks guys. Very good information. Definitely something I will be getting soon.