Old 01-05-2013, 10:33 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 2400se - can a Bravo 3replace the Alpha one..

Hi, Just wondering if anybody out there might know....I have a 2400se with an Alpha 1-can a Bravo 3 be put on as a replacement? The boat has a 5 litre 220HP engine. When I see the same boat in various ads for sale some have Bravo 3's. I thought these weren't available. Mine may need replacing, just wonder if it would make sense to go with a Bravo 3 or are they only suited for the 260HP motors?

Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:32 AM   #2
Admiral

First of all ...welcome to the website Tim...there are alot of great people here with alot of good boating knowledge. Have fun!

Now to answer your question. You probably can.$$$$$$..... but boy you are going to spend a bunch money doing so. I hope others chime in here but I think you will have to start from scratch on the outside and then pull the engine because of the bigger spline for a bigger coupler.

I am no expert here but Imho I would stay with the alpha or sell your boat and hunt for a b3 drive already attached to something you like.

Good luck and welcome

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
Captain

Agree, go test drive the same boat with the B3 and see if there is a difference.

Please love the Alpha-1 because they can pick them up for $500 and replace them every two seasons.
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
Ensign

You guys are a great help! I'm glad I registered, thank you. I look forward to getting more good advice and sharing some of my experiences as well. This is my first time on a forum, I think it's going to be very beneficial! I also think it best to stick with manufacturer's matching. I've tried deviating from manufacturer specs before with other boats but always found nothing worked as good as original. Cheers. Tim
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:49 AM   #5
Ensign

Im so glad I checked out this post.... when I was on the hunt to purchase a boat last fall there was a lot of them with Bravo 3's...I always wondered!!! .. if anything ever happened if it makes sense to change it over ... Guess not !!! ..
ggrant119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #6

It wouldn't be worth it. The B3 is a much heavier drive than the Alpha I and significantly more money to replace. I'm not sure if the B3 is a direct bolt on to the transom assembly. I assume that you'd need to replace the entire transom assembly. Then you would need to do some engine work. The B3 has the water pump on the engine, the Alpha I the impellor is in the drive itself. The B3 is really meant for high HP and torque engines. You don't need the B3 for a 5.0.

I'd save the time, money and weight. You could replace 3 Alpha I's for the cost of a B3. If it has it that is one, thing but there are much better places to spend money on a boat than that conversion.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
Commander

I have my bravo 3 off my 2400scr if you need a photo or spec I will send it to you???The bravo 3 is great

cunuck is offline   Reply With Quote