Old 08-22-2009, 01:46 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 2008 Maxum 2400 SC3 Sport Boat (Dealer Left Over)

I was thinking about going to look at the boat in the title of this thread. I probably could get a heck of a deal on it. Where should I start negotiating 50% off MSRP or more? I am however worried that I won't be able to sell if for anything if I needed to since they are discontinued. Thoughts?

How long will US Marine have replacement parts?

Thanks,

Frank T. Lee

ftlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

Default Re: 2008 Maxum 2400 SC3 Sport Boat (Dealer Left Over)

Hi Frank

You may find that there are alot of people thinking the way you are about that boat and find yourself in a bit of a bidding war. The value is already in the boat, the Maxum 2400 SC3 is an awesome boat. I know of one that was bought in 08 and they never let it rest. They have had no problems with it and it has about 130Hrs on it.
Brunswick has stated that they will honor all warranties, so if you get the extended warranty you should be good for at least 5yrs. The mercuiser side is not closing so you can always get motor and drive parts. As far as the boat itself goes there are lots of discontinued boats out there that have to shop around for parts and other than the custom Maxum stuff most of the accesseries and hardware are common to other brands and easy to get.
We have an 08 and were wondering about resale, we figure that up to 5yrs. you will take a bit of a loss anyways, after that it comes down to how well you keep your boat that will determine what price you will get.
It took us four boats to decide what one was right for us and buy new this means it is a keeper and don't plan to sell her for awhile, by then it will be just another old boat competing with all the other old boats.
If you are serious start as low as you want and see what they say. Don't forget to ask about all the extras,trailer ,covers ,electronics,extended warranties, etc.....

Good luck
Paul

Old 08-24-2009, 02:15 AM   #3
Admiral

I agree...besides....the parts are all the same for other boats......

welcome to the zoo!! :hello:
SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:47 PM   #4
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Frank,

Since I have a '04 2400 SC3 I can't say enough good things about this model. To me it's like the Honda Accord of the 24' class of boats; doesn't excel at anyone one particular task but does all tasks well. You'll also have the distinct pleasure of having one of the few 2400 SC3's out there as I have never seen another like mine (although I did see a 2100 SC3 just yesterday). Love the cockpit lay out and it's nice to have the cabin for changing and storage - the latter really helps keep the deck clear. The "trunk" is large enough for a small body. I like that the steps up to the foredeck are incorporated into the helm panel and NOT into the cabin door. Unless they changed it between 2004 and 2008 access to the battery is deplorable and the access panel to the back of the instruments, wiring, and fuse panel, is stupidly small.

I wouldn't worry about resale value. The only possible difficulty going forward is parts availability for items that are specific to that boat. Mechanical bits, wiring, gauges, etc-etc are all non-specific.

It's really a good "do everything" boat.

Regards,

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:10 AM   #5
Lt. Commander

Send a message via MSN to Brit Rider

I only recall one thing from the above reply, and it worries me that anyone would use it as a sales pitch....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd
The "trunk" is large enough for a small body.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:50 AM   #6
Ensign

Dan,

I still haven't went and looked at this boat yet. Something keeps telling me that this boat does not serve fishing very well with the trunk in the back of the boat. It appears that you might be able to get two people fishing off of the sides but, that is about it. Is that correct?

Frank
ftlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:38 PM   #7
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

I'd have to concure Frank.

It's a pretty good distance from the front edge of the rear bench seat bottom to the "end" of the boat - 3 feet I'd guess. Then another 2 feet of swim platform after that. You won't be fishing off the back of the boat from the deck. Fishing from the sides is much more doable.

Could also fish from the swim deck - there's even a padded seat cushion built into the trunk lid, but it really depends on what kind of fishing you'll be doing.

In my opinion, of course, it's a well layed out boat - unless fishability is high on your priority list.

Good luck Frank, let us know what you end up with.

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote