Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-05-2014, 05:44 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 2004 1800mx questions

I was wondering what would be the best way to fix a motor mount bolt hole that will not tighten up? I also was wondering if anyone had any ideas on the best all around prop for this boat. I just bought it this year and this is the first fiberglass(i/o) boat I have ever owned. I have always had aluminum boats with outboard engines.

witedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:01 PM   #2
Lt. JG

I have an 06 model year. It came with an aluminum 21pitch. This was ok, I went down to a 19 pitch after the first year. I boat on a river so I kept it aluminum, and it's cheaper. A Stainless steel prop will help keep the top end speed. But aluminum gives more when you hit something. (I'm pretty new to boating, so anybody feel free to correct me!) It is a little deeper, so better at pulling skiiers out of the water. I didnt really lose anything on the top end mph either, time to plane is a little better as well. About the same economy and performance. Just a little more guts for the little 3.0L. I have even pulled guys out of the water wakeboarding that weigh 220?+ I dont know about the motor mount bolt though. Does it go into a threaded end, or is there a bolt on the other end to tighten it? Hope this helps!

gotachvy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:25 PM   #3
Admiral

witedog welcome aboard.

I am assuming you are refering to one of the engine mount screws that connects the mount to a stringer, correct? First verify the stringer is sound (no rot) them remove screw and fill with thinkened epoxy once set drill new hole for the screw size and install the screw.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:23 PM   #4
Ensign

Yes, thank you very much for the info. Right now will it harm the stringer running with just 3 tight screws?
witedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:42 PM   #5
Admiral

Maybe but it depends on how you are using the boat. If doing water sports pulling skiers or tubes or fast hole shots the stress will go into the 3 bolts instead of the 4. This will eventually causes issues with the other bolts loosing. Also if there is some rot in the one area it will spread to the other bolt on that stringer over time.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote