Old 11-15-2015, 12:04 AM   #1
Ensign

Angry 2003 Maxum 4200 electric engine hatch

For some reason, even though hooked up to shore power, all 3 batteries went dead. Electric engine hatch will not operate. Recharged battery controlling dash switches. Still does not operate. Is there a way to manually open main hatch?
Without hatch fully open, I cannot get to port and starboard batteries to recharge. Any advice welcome! 516 658-6099 or StenGem@aol.com

StenGem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:03 AM   #2
Admiral

Was the battery charger breaker on? Shore power will only operate 120V things, A/C, microwave, electric stove, hot water heater, frig (dual volt). All 12 V wil still be on battery power.

Some boats have jumper terminals next the the battery switch to jump in 12 V.
Where the hatch lift ram attaches to the deck there should be an access port to allow you to undo the Rams pin then you can manually lift the deck.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:57 PM   #3

You should be able to manually pull the hatch open, then there should be a release on the ram to manually lift the hatch.

incidentally, if the shower power is connected and the circuit to the battery charger is on, then the charger should be able to push 12V out to the 12v devices. If you are still not getting power to 12 volt devices with the battery switches on and the shore power on and the charger circuit on, then I would be looking closely at the battery charger.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:03 PM   #4
Lieutenant

MY boat has an access to the engine room two ways.

Way one. There is a removable panel in the tank room that goes to engine room, it is screwed, and covered with fire panels.

Way two. the "trunk" on the swim platform has a removable bottom, (screwed), that opens just above the batteries. This is a crawl able opening.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:08 PM   #5
Lieutenant

In the future you may want to have either an accessible release, or run the power wires to the topside under the sink, where you can disconnect them ,and jumper a good battery direct to the lifts if this happens again.

I went with the Hydraulics, and installed a 1/4 turn bypass valve under the sink that allows me to Sloooowly lift the hatch through the bypass valve in case of a malfunction.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:08 PM   #6
Lieutenant

By the way when you get your hatch open, post a picture.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:12 PM   #7
Lieutenant

I almost forgot. Way three:

My hatch actually has a small split under the bench seat. this section is held in place by gravity, (and the edge of the bench).

You either have to have strong fingernails, or a prying tool, but you can lift it, and reach under to pull at least one of the pins on the main hatch.