Old 02-14-2015, 05:25 AM   #1
Ensign

Default 2001 Maxum 2100 SD

I have narrowed my boat search down to two. One is the maxum listed in the title my backup is a 2005 Smoker Craft 2420 DB. I'm going to look at the Maxum 4 hours away this weekend. It is still owned by the original owner who lives on a lake. The boat has been on a lift when not in use. According to him the only thing that is wrong with the boat is the bow thruster quit working. He said he never had it checked out because he doesn't use the thrusters so it wasn't worth it. I'm going to check the circuit breakers and the battery voltage (read in another thread these are two quick fixes). If it turns out to be bad I have heard a new mercury thruster is near impossible to find. He is asking 10,900 without a trailer. My questions are
1. How hard is it to find a new thruster or is there someone who can rebuild it?
2. Is the price appropriate?
3. What things should I specifically be looking for. I have had bow riders before and I'm mechanically inclined. I have never had a marine head. Is there anything specific to it to look for?
4. For the price would it be worth a survey if the sea trial and a thorough inspection seems ok?

Thanks you in advance for any input.

Hawkpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:11 AM   #2
Captain

Wow, a bow thruster on a 21 foot boat? I wouldn't use it either.

Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:47 AM   #3
Admiral

Hawk welcome aboard.

The SD had an options for thrusters one at the bow and two at the stern (each coner). This was a custom design that is no longer made.

BTY this system has it own batteriers

1. I believe the best option is to have te motors rebuilt if possible, this can be done by a local shop that works on motors such as starters.
2. Use yachtworld.com to look at prices listed for this model. Rember list and sell are two different things.
3. Sound hull, good seats, gel coat not cracked too much, all switches working, head should flush, clean bilge, no water in O/D gear lube, engine oil clean, engine runs good and no over heating at planing speed, ....
4. Depends if you feel you know what to look for else spend the ~$300, however i would be most concerned about the engineand drive and a surveyor does little here unless they are trained to do so or just hire someone who does nothing but check these systems.

lets us know how it goes and which one you decide on.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:05 PM   #4
Ensign

Mike thanks for the info! I'll keep you updated.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:07 PM   #5
Lieutenant

I own a 2004 2100sd (no thrusters) 5.0 .... I love the boat. Enough seating to enjoy just sitting on the water...enough power to pull a tube and ski..... I put a 4 blade prop on it and it became a new boat. It works well. It had a 21p 3 blade, I put on a 19p 4 blade.

As for the head.... I like it.... But for "full size" folks (like me)....it is very small. My wife is Asian, and she uses it with no major issues.... Kids love it. Mine needs a pump-out to empty. I understand some came with "carry out" portal potties.

I hope that helps.
I hope that helps
Sled600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:32 AM   #6
Ensign

I went with the Smoker Craft…it was a better fit for my family and I was somewhat scared off by the thrusters and digital dash. If they break I question how easy it can all be fixed. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:33 AM   #7
Admiral

thanks for letting us know and best of luck with the new boat, enjoy

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote