Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-03-2016, 02:09 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 2000, 1800xr "MAXUM" 1.5 x 40.5 graphics set

Visited our local Sea Ray dealer and they can't help. Searched online and came away pretty much "confused."

Only need the large lettering. Has anyone found a legitimate source for these letter graphics? I would accept either gold or silver.

Thanks.

vettestrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:53 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

Link - Maxum decal | eBay

jimq26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:53 PM   #3
Ensign

Spoke with the folks at GLSkippers and have some "okay" news. They had the foam-filled MAXUM graphic but only in silver (mine are gold) and the height dimensions are "close."

So ... a double set is on the way and we'll try to make them work. Biggest concern will be a "shadow" from the original letters showing from behind the new. Think I can live with the silver if not too contrasting with the other gold colored lettering.

GLSkippers will accept a return if not packaging disturbed.

Thanks for the help.

Fingers crossed.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:44 AM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettestrings View Post
Spoke with the folks at GLSkippers and have some "okay" news. They had the foam-filled MAXUM graphic but only in silver (mine are gold) and the height dimensions are "close."

So ... a double set is on the way and we'll try to make them work. Biggest concern will be a "shadow" from the original letters showing from behind the new. Think I can live with the silver if not too contrasting with the other gold colored lettering.

GLSkippers will accept a return if not packaging disturbed.

Thanks for the help.

Fingers crossed.
Thanks for posting your findings.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:01 PM   #5
Ensign

Letters arrived and installed. Original were gold and these are silver but, other than not matching the smaller 1800xr letters, they look great!

Removing the old one was easy once I figured out they were coming off in three layers. The last "adhesive" layer was a bit stubborn - I ended up using a 1" metal putty knife very carefully, followed by a little Naphtha and finished with a waxing.

Interesting, my biggest concern before starting was making sure I covered any "shadowing" from the old letters. Turned out there was essentially none. Then my biggest problem was proper placement. Eventually I saw just enough to line up the new appliques and on they went.

Note: I used a rag with just a bit of Naphtha to both press the letters in to place but also remove some residual adhesive from the surface. Now doubt dirt and crud could have accumulate otherwise.