Old 06-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default 1999 3000SCR for $7k

Have to ask the galley here; saw a '99 3000SCR on a site for about $7k, 14 pics show a beautiful boat, great condition. I inquired thinking there was some catch, flaw, scam. Woman writes back saying she got the boat as part of divorce settlement. Only wants to sell through Ebay's Vehicle Protection Plan. I offered to bring cash to the final sale (fly into IA) but she said through Ebay's service the shipper already has it ready to go, she's moved to Miami with her parents after divorce, so inspections are not possible. Woman also states that as part of the Ebay plan, funds aren't due until the boat shows up and we're satisfied. I looked at Ebay's VPP and it does exist, so even though I'm a very skeptical New Yorker, I don't want to turn a blind eye to the buy of the decade either.

My wife says she doesn't want to get involved right now with changing boats, two boats and slips until the current one is sold, and she's a pretty smart cookie.

Any thoughts?

Old 06-11-2010, 11:26 PM   #2
Commander

It is a scam. Ebays VPP is only available for items that are purchased through Ebay.

See here: http://www.used-car-advisor.com/car-seller-scam.htm

Just do a search for "Ebay's Vehicle Protection Plan scam" and you can find many other examples.

MMSI# 338052622
tglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 02:43 AM   #3
Lt. Commander

Tglee, thanks. I anticipated so. The email we got was almost verbatim with that reported on the link you sent. When we're pushing cash for a deal in person, and that's downplayed, you know it's got wrong written all over it.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
Lt. JG

99.999% of the time if it looks to good to be true IT IS. People have too much time on their hands and nothing better to do than try to scam someone out of something, pretty sad!
Whiskey River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
Admiral

yep..scam.....best to run from this one..

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote