Old 08-22-2017, 07:20 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 1998 2000SF Fuel tank size

Greetings everyone! This is my first post, so I apologize in advance if I overlooked a previous thread about tank capacities. (I did search, I promise!)

I am the new owner of a 1998 2000SF with the 5 liter, and I am planning a trip to Lake Powell AZ soon. The lake is BIG and I was hoping to plan my excursions prior to the trip. I understand that efficiency is a matter of my "driving habits"... but I have no idea how much fuel I will be starting off with.
SO... can anyone tell me what size (about) tank I have? I have yet to run more than 10 gallons off at a time, and I always top off prior to hitting the ramp. I have seen some posts stating 20 gallons... and others saying 35 gallons. I appreciate any information you are able to share!

Cheers!
Capt. Jack

lincoln72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:31 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

Maxum Care site shows a 1997 2000SRF as a 28 gallon capacity. They don't list it for a 1998 but I would guess it's the same.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:36 PM   #3
Ensign

Thanks Mike! The previous owner is supposedly going to send me an owners manual for the boat... Ill reply if it states different data.

Jack
Old 08-22-2017, 09:38 PM   #4
Admiral

Lake Powell is my home port. I'm on the south end and NEVER pass Dangling Rope Marina when up lake without topping off the fuel tank (and getting some soft serve ice cream). My cruiser holds 86 gallons and I use about 1/4 tank of fuel to get to Dangling Rope from Wahweap with a few side canyon excursions.

What end of the lake do you plan to launch from? Are you renting a house boat and going to use your boat for day trips?

I would suggest you try to calibrate your fuel mileage before you go. I see a lot of people in the smaller boats with gas cans strapped to the swim deck if they are camping out of the boat.

I've been going to Powell since I was a kid and currently have my cruiser at Wahweap. Hit me up if you have any questions or need suggestions on camp sites etc...
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:41 PM   #5
Ensign

Thanks for the advice Phillbo! I have a buddy who heads up there every year and he said the same thing. We will be launching from Wahweap... and "might" buzz over to Dangling Rope for fuel and then on to Rainbow Bridge. It is quite a haul from what I have heard, and I am not sure my guests would want to spend that amount of time cruising, regardless of tank size / cruising range. I'm thinking that maybe just hanging around the west side of the lake may be better. It will be my first time to Powell, so I am open to any suggestions! Thanks again!
Old 08-23-2017, 12:10 AM   #6
Admiral

Are you renting a houseboat or getting a hotel room each night?

If just day tripping and you don't want to go too far up lake (it does get rough mid day if it's a holiday weekend or a wind storm kicks up) or through the 'narrows' try a day trip to Navajo Canyon.

If you go to Rainbow go early in the morning and hit Dangling Rope for fuel both directions, then you can enjoy some of the side canyons on the way home. I recommend seeing the rest of Forbidding Canyon ( the canyon that Rainbow is in, turn left when departing after the tight squeeze where the rainbow bridge sign is) and Cathedral (first canyon down stream of Forbidding) on your way back to DR for fuel and ice cream. It's not a long day if you start early. Take a lunch to enjoy while idling through the canyons.

When are you going? I won't go back up until the crowds leave. We enjoy it Sept - Nov. We have the lake to ourselfs.

The Onion Rings at the Wahweap Marina restaurant rock

Once you get north of Gunsight the lake really calms down and the beauty begins. Sad fact is sometimes you have to put up with some rough water (go early) we call the Maytag Straits due to the vertical walls on each side of the channel do not dissipate wave but bounce them back.

Once again, if you are running up to Rainbow GO EARLY. Way before the tour boats run. If you see a tour boat coming your way, get as far away as possible and approach their wake at 45* slowly. The wakes are HUGE.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:40 PM   #7
Ensign

We will be heading up and camping at Wahweap over Labor Day weekend, and I am sure we will NOT be the only ones on the water. I have heard horror stories about the washing machine, and want to have an enjoyable Powell experience, so I am thinking that Navajo Canyon will be the path we choose. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew... but the onion rings will definitely happen!
Thanks again for all the recommendations!
Old 08-23-2017, 03:36 PM   #8
Admiral

Camping in the camp grounds?

If you decide to venture into town for dinner, The Dam Bar has great food.

If you go to Navajo Canyon don't go around and through Antelope Point Marina. Go out through the cut and into Warm Creek Bay. When you get to the narrows keep going straight and Navajo will be on your left. Much calmer water going that way, it avoids most of the Maytag Straights.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:35 PM   #9
Ensign

Phillbo, we had a great weekend! BUT, (and I think it was due to the high weekend traffic) it seemed like the entire lake was a wash-tub. We started at Wahweap and went around Antelope island, down Navajo a bit and back through the cut. Put 32 miles on the boat (per GPS) and burned less than a 1/4 tank. Too much of it was throttle-jockeying due to the chop... which was excessive. I will say that the boat took it well, and I felt good about my potential maximum range. Thanks again for your advice!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1880.jpg  
Old 09-05-2017, 11:58 PM   #10
Admiral

That area of the lake is to be avoided at all cost for me.. I head up lake early. Once you get past Padre Bay you can find glass... It's the vertical walls around antelope that prevent the waves from dissipating. It's even worse on crowded weekends.

Next time, run up lake for the beauty now that you know for sure you can make Dangling Rope without concern.