Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-11-2020, 01:29 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default 1994 Maxum 2000 SRB trailer question

I have a '94 Maxum and had an issue with a blowout. After reviewing this blowout, I noticed that both trailer tires set out past the fender covers..about an inch. Then I noticed that the boat doesn't fit in between the fender covers and the trailer bunks have been raised...meaning that the boat is above the fenders. I hit a hard bump in the road and the trailer fender came down and sliced the tire. I know that that boat weight is around 2800 lbs, but the trailer identification states max weight of 2300 lbs. The boat manufacturer is Custom Haul. How can I find out if this is the original trailer? I now have to replace tires, but I want to make sure this trailer is safe. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Trailer 2.jpg   Trailer 3.jpg   IMG_2224.jpg   trailer 5.jpg   trailer 6.jpg  

loukywells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:05 PM   #2
Captain

I doubt anyone can tell you whether or not that is the trailer that came with your boat. I think the max rating of 2300 lbs tells us that it is not the original trailer. The trailer has also been modified and looks to me like the axle is too long and it needs new bunk mounts. I'd recommend fixing the problems and trading for a larger trailer.

jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 03:29 PM   #3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsick View Post
I doubt anyone can tell you whether or not that is the trailer that came with your boat. I think the max rating of 2300 lbs tells us that it is not the original trailer. The trailer has also been modified and looks to me like the axle is too long and it needs new bunk mounts. I'd recommend fixing the problems and trading for a larger trailer.
Agree. Note in picture #1 I see leaf springs and in picture #3 it appears to be a torsion axel, there should only be one or the other.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:30 PM   #4
Captain

good catch Mike. Now that I'm looking at the suspension setup, I've never seen the leaf springs on top of an axle before. It looks like a drop spindle, then the drop was compensated by putting the leafs on top. I don't know if that trailer has any give in the suspension.
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:13 PM   #5
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Agree. Note in picture #1 I see leaf springs and in picture #3 it appears to be a torsion axel, there should only be one or the other.
Mike, if you look at the other photos you can see the leaf spring pack.
That axle is too long, but it does not look like it was changed as the paint on the nuts does not look like it has been disturbed.
At any rate the trailer is not the correct one for that boat.
It will take a lot of upgrading to make it right.
Don
2012 South Bay Pontoon
donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:52 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsick View Post
good catch Mike. Now that I'm looking at the suspension setup, I've never seen the leaf springs on top of an axle before. It looks like a drop spindle, then the drop was compensated by putting the leafs on top. I don't know if that trailer has any give in the suspension.
Looking again I don’t think it’s a torsion axel but it is a drop axel.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote