Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-20-2008, 02:22 AM   #1
Ensign

Default 1993 maxum 23 scr

I am a new Maxum owner...a 1993 23scr...I would appreciate any thoughts on this boat specifically performance data(it has a V6 mercruiser 4.3LX Alpha One drive).

Also, where can I get an owners manual?

Thanks.

enivalg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:04 AM   #2
Admiral

welcome to the zoo.....where do you boat at??.....might help to know what kind of water you boat in...

the v6 is a bit anemic in hp...it's a pretty heavy boat so make sure you don't overload it...the alpha 1 drive is a low hp drive.....if you'd have asked me before you bought it..I would have told you a 5.7ltr b3 drive is minimum....I used to have the bayliner eqivalent of yours...2455...had the 5.0ltr a1g2 drive....it was a slug...was hard to get up on plane and beat us to death here in the pacnorwest....good boat but way underpowered....

second....never approach the dock faster than your willing to crash into it.....

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:10 PM   #3
Commander

Personally I don't think they should put the carbed 4.3 in anything larger than a 21'er. It's a fine powerplant for my 18'er and doesn't use as much gas as a larger V8 would, although I get passed all the time by larger boats with larger engines even with a 23 pitch prop.
Now the fuel injected 4.3 is going to take you up to 220hp which I wish my boat had.
The carbed 4.3 is going to work pretty hard to move your 23'er around. Depends on what kind of boating you will be doing.

Maybe you can swap it out for a 5.7 and a bravo drive but it won't be cheap.

Although, keep in mind, everyone told my brother in law not to get his 18' Stingray with the little four banger Mercruiser and yet that little engine moves them around almost as well as my 4.3 does. i just slowly pulled away from him on glass conditions at the lake. We both had a 23 pitch prop.
racer2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:29 PM   #4
Ensign

Thanks,
For the replies. I am in New Bern NC, and my main cruising waters are the Neuse river and the Pamlico Sound.
This is my first powerboat...I grew up a sailor.
This is my "intro. to powerboating" boat. Everything I hear about the boat is positive except for the merc. 4.3LX engine which by consensus does not provides enough power for this size boat.
Although a 1993 it was not used much and seems to be in excellent condition.
Any Ideas about fuel mileage(gph)?
Old 05-20-2008, 05:44 PM   #5
Admiral

welcome to the zoo...I'm flying out to wilmington monday to drive some of maxum's and bayliners new boats..they are taking us to Sandport marina...is that near you??...should be fun...

as for the 4.3ltr engine....the probable reason that boat looks so nice is cuz he probably didn't use it much...the low horse power would make me really wonder....so....I'd try and find another or ...sea trail it dependant on performance...if it doesn't work out as expected...you got a free boat ride and didn't spend any cash for it....If this is the boat set in your heart....then get it surveyed and seatrailed before you buy it....load a few people on it to simulate all the gear and stuff you plan on taking.....that will tell you how it's going to work out...

just my thoughts.....but I'd probably walk away from this one ...there are alot of boats out there....and I feel with the price of gas....more will be coming.....we're starting to see it up here in the pacnorwest....
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 05-20-2008, 06:11 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

You could get a few more hp buy fitting the 4 barrel carb and intake looks like that takes them to 220hp ish. they don't look to expensive either in the states

I'm Thinking about supercharging mine but that will be later on, need to get it running first and these manifolds built
Old 05-20-2008, 06:21 PM   #7
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazjen
You could get a few more hp buy fitting the 4 barrel carb and intake looks like that takes them to 220hp ish. they don't look to expensive either in the states

I'm Thinking about supercharging mine but that will be later on, need to get it running first and these manifolds built
I'd be interested in that mod. You wouldn't happen to have part #'s would you?
Old 05-20-2008, 08:36 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

I'll have a look for you I came across them in my mass search for all things maxum and mercruiser.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:27 PM   #9
Ensign

Thanks for the replies,

I have already done a sea trial with 3 adults, and the boat was loaded with gear. It handled well, and seemed to plane fairly quickly( a quote used by my boating friend I took on the trial)...The Speedometer did not work so I could not get a reading on speed..My buddy thought it hit a max around 30mph.
My wife is set on this boat, trusts the seller, and says it goes fast enough for her. She wins.
Overall my impression after the sea trial was that it was a solid boat, handled well, and di not feel slow.
I can always use more speed though!!!!
Old 05-21-2008, 01:00 AM   #10
Admiral

well...if your happy with it....then best of luck to you and welcome to the zoo...post some pic's and let us all know how your adventures go..

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 05-21-2008, 01:17 AM   #11
Commander

Default Re: 1993 maxum 23 scr

Quote:
Originally Posted by enivalg
Thanks for the replies,

I have already done a sea trial with 3 adults, and the boat was loaded with gear. It handled well, and seemed to plane fairly quickly( a quote used by my boating friend I took on the trial)...The Speedometer did not work so I could not get a reading on speed..My buddy thought it hit a max around 30mph.
My wife is set on this boat, trusts the seller, and says it goes fast enough for her. She wins.
Overall my impression after the sea trial was that it was a solid boat, handled well, and di not feel slow.
I can always use more speed though!!!!
that's great! Buying a boat is a fantastic experience! If I weren't paying for college for my daughter we'd be moving into a bigger one this year. Plus, not much of a market for a two year old 1800 SR3 that I want 18K for. (interested parties PM me) LOL!

I'm glad the 4.3 is working for you. It's going to work harder than a bigger motor so keep that in mind. The harder you push it, the more problems you will have.

Post pictures of your new baby!! Looking forward to seeing it!