Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-01-2019, 02:25 AM   #1
Lt. JG
 
Vroom_vroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 19
Default 1800sr props?

So I have been trolling the web for days along with this website and was curious on any opinions of the prop Im looking at.

To start off my boat is a 90 1800sr, 3.0 that will see zero skiing however fishing tubing and zipping down the river are my primary functions with 3-4 passengers.

Im looking into a hustler 4 blade 19 pitch from turning point. Possibly a 17 for the high altitude lakes we hit. This is a new to me boat that has a 3 blade 21 prop currently but looks like its been dinged more than once on all the blades so I really cant gauge what an accurate wot rpm is.

However when we had it in the water with 5 adults it took a bit to get on plane. Looking to solve that for the most part. Thanks for stopping in on this one guys! First boat for me and looking to replace the prop due to its previous hits.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:32 AM   #2
Lt. JG
 
Vroom_vroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 19
Default

Also a follow up question, What are the dang clips that go on the out drive pistons to keep it in the up position while transporting the boat?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:27 AM   #3
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Essex, Maryland
Posts: 8,208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom_vroom View Post
So I have been trolling the web for days along with this website and was curious on any opinions of the prop Im looking at.

To start off my boat is a 90 1800sr, 3.0 that will see zero skiing however fishing tubing and zipping down the river are my primary functions with 3-4 passengers.

Im looking into a hustler 4 blade 19 pitch from turning point. Possibly a 17 for the high altitude lakes we hit. This is a new to me boat that has a 3 blade 21 prop currently but looks like its been dinged more than once on all the blades so I really cant gauge what an accurate wot rpm is.

However when we had it in the water with 5 adults it took a bit to get on plane. Looking to solve that for the most part. Thanks for stopping in on this one guys! First boat for me and looking to replace the prop due to its previous hits.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welcome aboard

A 21" prop on a 3.0 seems like to much IMO, what is the WOT you can achieve?

I would try Quicksilvers Prop Calculator to see what it recommends.
__________________
1997 2400 SCR
5.7 Vortec / Bravo 2
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:29 AM   #4
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Essex, Maryland
Posts: 8,208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom_vroom View Post
Also a follow up question, What are the dang clips that go on the out drive pistons to keep it in the up position while transporting the boat?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The drive should stay up on it's own, those devices are aftermarket and claim to reduce the load on the trim hydraulics. I would first check the trim reservoir level.
__________________
1997 2400 SCR
5.7 Vortec / Bravo 2
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 04:52 PM   #5
Captain
 
jrsick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 532
Default

A 19P will be a good general purpose prop for you, a 17P would be best for days when you are pulling the tube. That's assuming you have the standard 1.98 ratio outdrive.
The 17P will get you on plane quickly, but you will need to watch your RPMs. There's less strain on your engine and the prop will make your boat responsive in turns.
Smart Tabs will also help get you on plane.
For your size boat, weight distribution and wind are big factors in getting on plane. Put your heavies in the bow, at least to get on plane, and start off going downwind when launching the tubers.
__________________
2006 Bayliner BR205
A1 Gen 2 1.47
5.0 carb engine
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:12 AM   #6
Lt. JG
 
Vroom_vroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 19
Default

I wanna say with 5 adults we hit 3800 it took a good few seconds to get on plane, I know its not a speed machine but would like to be able to hit a solid 35 with 4-5 of us. Have played around with the prop calculators and it almost always comes back 21-19. Gonna get a 19- 4 blade and take the boat out for a shake down run next week. Have yet to have the chance to take off with just two of us so it will be a great reason to crash willow beach. (And look like a clown with my trailer skills)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:28 AM   #7
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Essex, Maryland
Posts: 8,208
Default

Going from a 3 blade 21" to a 4 blade 19" will yield little to no change. Adding a blade is additional drag and load on the engine so the reduction in pitch is counterbalanced.
__________________
1997 2400 SCR
5.7 Vortec / Bravo 2
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:06 PM   #8
Moderator

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,915
Default

Adding a blade is like adding pitch. Reducing a blade is like reducing pitch.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:52 PM   #9
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Essex, Maryland
Posts: 8,208
Default

and a 3.0 trying to move 5 adults will never go VROOM.
__________________
1997 2400 SCR
5.7 Vortec / Bravo 2
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:57 PM   #10
Lt. JG
 
Vroom_vroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 19
Default

So would you rule out the 4 blade or just drop another pitch? Better holeshot and more responsive are the big selling points for me personally on the 4 blade.

Trust me, Im well aware this is no speed craft. It was a very clean one owner boat with yearly maintenance records for the price I couldnt say no.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:12 PM   #11
Captain
 
jrsick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 532
Default

General rule on props is 200 rpm change for each pitch, and 500 for change in diameter. You want a WOT of 4400-4800 rpm.
You would see big change by going to 19P prop that is one inch less in diameter than current prop. Or, a 17P prop with same diameter as current prop.
I had a 18 foot boat with a 3.0 for many years. I had 3 props; 17P, 19P, and 21P. I used the one that was right for what I was doing that day. My experience is that a four blade prop won't be better than the right 3 blade.
You mentioned boating at a high altitude. You may want to look into changing carb jets.
__________________
2006 Bayliner BR205
A1 Gen 2 1.47
5.0 carb engine
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:20 AM   #12
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Essex, Maryland
Posts: 8,208
Default

You can try a 4 blade 17 pitch but with your power set up I think a 3 blade 17 or 19 will perform better.

You are quoting a standard line, if you had the 4.3 then I would say a 4 blade.

I was just joking around with your name but 5 adults is a good load for a 3.0
__________________
1997 2400 SCR
5.7 Vortec / Bravo 2
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:44 AM   #13
Lt. JG
 
Vroom_vroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 19
Default 1800sr props?

There is some truth In there still about the people, weight is not the friend of an underpowered boat and considering how it did with that many people you would have to really prop down for good performance. I will end up buying a few props in the end Im sure, but I think a 19 3 blade would be a good start and you can get them on the cheap so buying multiple is not a huge hit on the wallet. This was the one I keep eyeing.


https://www.boatid.com/turning-point...-21501911.html

As for my altitude most of it is around 2000, we hit Utah and norther nevada a few times a year but only one trip offers anything other than fishing, still its at 7-8000 feet


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:51 AM   #14
Lt. JG
 
Vroom_vroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
You can try a 4 blade 17 pitch but with your power set up I think a 3 blade 17 or 19 will perform better.



You are quoting a standard line, if you had the 4.3 then I would say a 4 blade.



I was just joking around with your name but 5 adults is a good load for a 3.0


I had figured that. Have a decent amount of big hp toys so this is definitely a change.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:55 AM   #15
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Essex, Maryland
Posts: 8,208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom_vroom View Post
There is some truth In there still about the people, weight is not the friend of an underpowered boat and considering how it did with that many people you would have to really prop down for good performance. I will end up buying a few props in the end Im sure, but I think a 19 3 blade would be a good start and you can get them on the cheap so buying multiple is not a huge hit on the wallet. This was the one I keep eyeing.


https://www.boatid.com/turning-point...-21501911.html

As for my altitude most of it is around 2000, we hit Utah and norther nevada a few times a year but only one trip offers anything other than fishing, still its at 7-8000 feet


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Im not fimilar with this manufacture, but wonder if a 15 diameter would be better. Although the smaller diameter equates to less blade area so it will allow the engine to rev quicker and as you said the price is cheap enough.
__________________
1997 2400 SCR
5.7 Vortec / Bravo 2
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:13 AM   #16
Lt. JG
 
Vroom_vroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 19
Default 1800sr props?

For the price thinking it would be a good one to test out, especially for a low pitch that gets used 3-4 times a year.

My current prop I know is a mercury, is it worth taking it to a prop shop and having the dings fixed? Its a black max apparently


When I find the pitch I use the most is it worth investing in a stainless steel one?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 03:07 AM   #17
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Essex, Maryland
Posts: 8,208
Default

If the like the general performance of the current prop get it fixed but that cost will be nearly the cost of a new one so you need to weigh that into your decision.

A stainless prop is heavier than aluminum so youll need you drop the pitch one size from the aluminum one you like. It will also not flex so between that and its weight the engine will rev slower. A disadvantage is if you hit something being stronger than aluminum instead of the prop yielding that energy is transferred into the drive and has a higher risk of gear damage.
__________________
1997 2400 SCR
5.7 Vortec / Bravo 2
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:35 PM   #18
Moderator

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom_vroom View Post
There is some truth In there still about the people, weight is not the friend of an underpowered boat and considering how it did with that many people you would have to really prop down for good performance.
The challenge is that the human load is variable. If you tune for heaviest possible load, then you will be well underpropped when the boat doesn't have 5 people. In those conditions, the boat will potentially be able to exceed maximum rpm. Now you're going to have to be very careful with the throttle in those conditions because the hotshole will be extremely (hang on!) snappy.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:42 AM   #19
Lt. JG
 
Vroom_vroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 19
Default 1800sr props?

Well took my dinged up 21 pitch out on the river, 41-4200 rpm at wot and 36 on the gps. That was only with two people, next trip out will be more with the 19 she did good for almost being 30! Found out the bilge is non op and gas gauge also needs some love but ran strong. Has a odd drip when the motor is running however........

After 5 hours on the water there was approximately a gallon of water in the boat dripping from somewhere on the back of the motor. Looks like I have a few things to address before the end of the month trip!

Good little boat, happy to be part of the Maxum family!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:38 AM   #20
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Essex, Maryland
Posts: 8,208
Default

Not sure I believe tach. get a phototach from an auto store to check it.
__________________

__________________
1997 2400 SCR
5.7 Vortec / Bravo 2
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.