Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-20-2008, 03:55 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default 1800 SR3 trailer issue

I have a 2007 SR3 which came as standard with the purpose built Karavan single axle trailer. (Maxum specific variant)

US-2800-SB-74-ST-GL

I was looking up the Tyre pressures.
The tires are Radials 205/75 D14 F 78-14ST 6ply

In the karavan manual the table gives the rating for maximum load as 1760 lbs (@ 50 psi) - 3520Lbs per pair

Which started me thinking about he weight of the rig:
Boat + 4.3 engine + full tank fuel 2885 lbs

I then looked up the VIN label on the trailer ... it advises that the maximum load carry capacity is 2859 lbs ???

That means with no equipment, a boat with nothing more than engine it was upplied with and a tank of fuel exceeds the carry capacity of this trailer ?

Are Maxum deliberatley using wrong size of trailer ?

Is there a Maxum tech help line I can email on this ?

Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

You could try e mailing maxums customer service dept. or give them a ring.

ash

Old 06-21-2008, 05:34 AM   #3
Lt. Commander

Send a message via MSN to Brit Rider

Funny that you're worried about your trailer; what's the unbraked towing capacity of your vehicle?

Chances are the wholes rigs illegal...
Old 06-21-2008, 06:49 AM   #4
Lt. Commander

2 tonne - I changed it after buying the boat.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:57 AM   #5
Lt. Commander

Actually, no its 750kg. and its 750kg's for a reason.

You can tow 2.7 tonnes on UK roads with functional brakes... but you don't have any, therefore a small overshoot on trailer capacity if the very least of your worries.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:00 AM   #6
Lt. Commander

I thought the American trailers had hydraulic brakes? still illegal in the UK but still braked or have these been removed?
Old 06-21-2008, 01:21 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

If installed: They're illegal

The American braking systems are totally different to the UK ones, in that they are often controlled electronically - from the car. The UK cars don't have this controller therefore, the brakes might be there... but they aren't doing anything.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:36 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

Oh right didn't realise that thought they still worked on compression of the hitch
Old 06-21-2008, 06:43 PM   #9
Lt. Commander

If it had surge brakes yes - but even then, those brakes aren't technically legla and require servicing - which no one ever does, especially 2nd hand owners and beyond.

The other thing is that it DEFINITELY won't have a hand brake, so should you encounter trouble, or be the spotter on a slipway... you could find serious issues. The trailer should be able to stop independently of the vehicle.

Generally, freebie trailers with boats under 20ft though will just be 'launch trailers' and merely a basic set of hubs bolted to an axle.

This is the whole problem with bringing a none UK trailer in to the UK... leaves so many questions unanswered and the public at large aren't informed as to what their boat is sitting on. Which, if not UK supplied, in almost every single case is illegal - may as well have not bothered insuring your self should you have an accident....

Sorry to rant, really don't want to cause any offence... its just I see these trailers at work so much and it really angers me - they are an accident waiting to happen and an absolute nightmare as there's so many about now.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:23 PM   #10
Lt. Commander

[quote="Brit Rider"]Actually, no its 750kg. and its 750kg's for a reason.

I don't understand what you mean here ? .....
The figures I quoted are correct for trailer and for car ... and it is a braked trailer.

The point is the maximum carry capacity of the trailer is exceeded smply by having a full tank of fuel ..... I have contacted Karavan Trailers and they conform that this is being exceeded.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:30 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit Rider
If installed: They're illegal

The American braking systems are totally different to the UK ones, in that they are often controlled electronically - from the car. The UK cars don't have this controller therefore, the brakes might be there... but they aren't doing anything.
It does have US hydraulic brakes and it does not have any electrical control, this is purely mechnically driven via the tow hitch.

I am aware of the issues of hydraulic brakes & use of US trailers in UK.

The Maxum main dealer imports the boats on these trailers, which is interesting.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:05 PM   #12
Lt. Commander

Not to be petty, but one or two do, there is no Maxum UK as such... Pictons don't for example....

The only reason the US trailers are sold here is because they are cheap and to serve, legally, as launch trailers. The Dealers are being cheeky though as they know the trailers will have to hit UK roads to get to their new home. That's the loophole on which they sell them... problem is... Hydraulic brakes should be serviced annually and they don't have a handbrake. Which makes them very dangerous as the average tow vehicle here is nothing like the average tow vehicle in the US.. I've seen numerous cars on slip ways be dragged all the way to the water by the boat on its trailer (within its tow rating) - a handbrake is a simple way to stop this.

Sorry to be an arse, it's not my intention... Just gets my heckles up when I see these as in my opinion, and others, the trailers are dodgy at best. If I were you I'd call Andy at SBS trailers, have a new axle and coupler (with HB) bolted on, to meet the capacity you want and to get the trailer to UK spec - You're then covered AND you're concern over capacity if sorted; maybe the supplying dealer will help with costs a bit if you wave a legal case at them over providing a trailer that's not up to spec.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:42 PM   #13
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit Rider
Not to be petty, but one or two do, there is no Maxum UK as such... Pictons don't for example....

The only reason the US trailers are sold here is because they are cheap and to serve, legally, as launch trailers. The Dealers are being cheeky though as they know the trailers will have to hit UK roads to get to their new home. That's the loophole on which they sell them... problem is... Hydraulic brakes should be serviced annually and they don't have a handbrake. Which makes them very dangerous as the average tow vehicle here is nothing like the average tow vehicle in the US.. I've seen numerous cars on slip ways be dragged all the way to the water by the boat on its trailer (within its tow rating) - a handbrake is a simple way to stop this.

Sorry to be an arse, it's not my intention... Just gets my heckles up when I see these as in my opinion, and others, the trailers are dodgy at best. If I were you I'd call Andy at SBS trailers, have a new axle and coupler (with HB) bolted on, to meet the capacity you want and to get the trailer to UK spec - You're then covered AND you're concern over capacity if sorted; maybe the supplying dealer will help with costs a bit if you wave a legal case at them over providing a trailer that's not up to spec.
Actually Pictons do - it was them I bought the boat & trailer from.
Their comment is that is cheaper to get boat supplied on it's trailer than taken off trailer and crated up.
They did point out it is not UK legal ... but many clients use them with no problem.

I appreciate what you are saying ... but the original Q had nothing to do with brakes ... it was the fact that the standard trailer Maxum supply for the boat will have it's maximum capacity exceeded simply by having a full tank of fuel !
This VIN number is a specific build for Maxum.
Something I am surprised at.

Regarding reworking my trailer ...
If I were to change axle, this would be expensive, as I would also have to change coupling as hydraulic brakes would then be unusable.

So new axle, new brakes, new coupling .... way too expensive for me, maybe in future.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:05 PM   #14
Lt. Commander

When I was looking for a boat it was thought I would end up with a boat of american decent so I asked at my local trailer place about modifying a trailer with new axle and hitch and it came out at about £600 inc fitting which I didn't think was too bad Not much good to you really if your in south wales

As luck would have it my maxum is on a indespension trailer brakes are still no good, looks like they left the trailer in the sea while they used the boat for weeks on end (another job)
Old 06-23-2008, 08:57 AM   #15
Lt. Commander

Picton did offer to put it on a roller coaster trailer - but that would cost an extra £1200.
They advised most people just use them 'as is' ........ not sure what I will do going forward.
Just seems such a waste to throw away what is new axle, brakes, coupling etc.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:47 AM   #16
Lt. Commander

My boat came from Pictons and I was offered 2 options - a twin axle Snipe or a single axle Snipe.

Not much use now though as Snipe have gone belly up!
Old 07-02-2008, 11:20 AM   #17
Lt. Commander

Picton sold boat on the US standard trailer, they did offer me an exchange to roller trailer for £1000 .... but added that many stick with the standard US trailers.

Now had interesting feedback .. my understanding of trailer being 'over loaded' with 4.3 engine is correct.
Depending on actual hull & engine combination it can exceed max carry.

Maxum have advised they are to supply a warranty retro fit kit of bigger wheels & tyres which will bring the capacity up.