Old 07-10-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 06 1800SR3 3.0 .... No balls!

Hi

I just purchased this 06 boat. Got an exceptional deal on this boat with only 26 hours on it! My family and I love the boat so far but it lacks power. Boat is completely stock. I would have expected that Maxum would have sized the motor/prop correctly for this type of sport boat. I was not in the market to even buy a boat but couldn't turn this deal down. Now that I own the boat I will try changing the prop.... High five?? Boat has tough time Planeing off quick. We love water sports it seems to has a tough time maintaining a tubing or wakeboard medium speed (my wife is new to boating and she is really having a tough time keeping a steady speed). No chance of yanking me out on slalom ski 175lbs. I am running 4400 rpm at WOT .... If I trim the out drive up slightly I pick up ill speed and run at 4500RPM. I would absolutely will willing to give up top end for better hole shot. So I guess my rant should just say .... Will a good SS prop make me happy with just a 3.0? Thanks in advance for any feedback. Maxum looks like a quality boat so far!

Chriswitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:31 PM   #2
Commander

Chris,
The 3.0 is a small motor, but you can fix the holeshot by reducing the pitch of your prop. You need to start with understanding what pitch you have now. Smart Tabs are also an inexpensive (and in my opinion better) way to get on plane faster and better your holeshot. I added them to my 4.3l 1900 and it greatly improved the holeshot.

Welcome to the forum.

-JP

CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:01 PM   #3
Admiral

Chris welcome aboard

As JP stated the 3.0 is not a stella water sports engine. For every 1" of pitch you drop the RPMs will increase by ~200. Add more blades to the prop increases drag so even more pitch will need to be dropped. Is it just you and the wife? how much gear?

Currently the boat seems to be proped correctly based on the WOT. Smart Tabs will help to plane quicker.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:38 AM   #4
Ensign

Thanks for the feedback. I will look into the Smart Tabs. Do u have to drill below the water line? I do have local prop shop that I will check out.... What is the ideal or Max RPM that I should target? I guess the weight in my boat is not helping much either. I have 2 little kids and some gear... and usually full tank of fuel. Love the boat though.
Chriswitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:32 AM   #5
Admiral

Your WOT appears to be fine. Don't kill it.

Call these guys for advice:

http://hillmarine.com/?gclid=CKTskNSOvL8CFZSEfgodNCMAtQ
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:05 AM   #6
Commander

Chris, you do have to drill below the water line. Here is a thread with an install on an 1800 with pics. I got mine from Amazon.

http://www.maxumownersclub.com/forum...ght=smart+tabs

-JP
CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #7
Captain

Chris,
I've got the same boat and know what you mean. Mine came with a 19P which was not enough hole shot for water sports. I went to a 17P and that made all the difference. My kids have gotten bigger, and bring more friends, so I now run a 16P. I can get on plane while towing a wakeboarder and tube at same time.
Some tips: You will learn how to keep a steady speed with practice. What you are probably experiencing is the aluminum blade bending under load and flexing back to original pitch as the load decreases. Make sure you have some weight in the bow. I tell my kids to sit in the front and let me know what the skiier is doing. I also keep my anchor under front left cushion. Trim tabs help. These are the things you have to do with a small engine. Good part of small boat is you can take them anywhere and enjoy two full weekends of watersports on a single 25 gallon tank of gas.

jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote