Old 05-16-2021, 06:19 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Windlass Failure: 1998 3700 SCR

Our new 1998 3700 SCR was launched on 4/28. We traveled from the purchase marina to it's new home without incident, 2 hour running time across the Chesapeake Bay. I still have a few small items to correct from the inspection but I can live w/o an ice maker and autopilot for now. First trip out from the new marina, the windlass failed. I never checked it on shore. I saw it move and apparently tightened rather than loosen. I was able to deploy the anchor via the crank handle and re-hauling by hand but that can't continue. I checked fuse under dash but no red stacks were popped. Any other place to try? I do hear a clicking at the windlass when someone pushes the dash switch and also from the left (arrow facing forward) bow button.

RSBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 06:41 PM   #2
Captain

The clicking you hear is the relays that connect the actual power feed to the windlass motor. That’s a good sign. There should be a breaker (50amp or so) and possibly an on-off switch that supplies the the high amp current to the relay (and onwards to the windlass motor).

Check near your battery switches, as the breaker should be located fairly close to the batteries.

jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 06:53 PM   #3
Ensign

OK. I'll be at the boat on Wednesday for a work detail. I know there are breakers at the dual battery switches under the sink. I thought I checked that location for "windlass" labeling. I'll recheck there. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2021, 12:36 AM   #4
Captain

The breaker may also be in the DC panel.
jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 12:03 PM   #5
Ensign

Woohoo! You were correct. There was a breaker under the aft sink next to the battery switches that reset the system. Although the return bow peddle switch has failed, I can send from the outward peddle and operate from the helm for both functions. Thanks again.