Old 11-09-2015, 07:40 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Wet bar sink faucet handle

I own a year 2000, Maxum 3700 SCR. In the cockpit area, I have a wet bar sink. The faucet head folds down into the sink when not in use and the sink is covered with a sink-shaped board which allows the area to be used as a countertop. Unfortunately, once in a while, the weight of the board will press down on the handle to the sink faucet and open the faucet a tiny amount. Fresh water from the fresh water holding tank is slowly pumped out, emptying the tank and leaving the freshwater pump running all the time. Being aware of the problem, I always check the wet bar sink before I leave the boat. However, the detail/wash down company visits the boat twice per month and will cause this problem. I was wondering if anyone changed the handle on their wet bar sink faucet and what handle was used and where it was obtained. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.

Sailboattraitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:37 PM   #2

Two things to consider:

1) Shut the power to the pressure pump off when you leave the boat.

OR

2) Can you reach the underside of the faucet? Install a water shutoff (Whale makes them) inline on the water feed. If the faucet valve is opened, the system stays closed between the pump and the inline shutoff. The pump won't detect a drop in pressure and won't cycle on. This will allow you to keep all the other faucets on and still prevent this issue from occurring.

OR

3) Explain to the company what they are going and ask them to please be cognizant of it.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:34 PM   #3
Lt. JG

I love suggestion #2. For reasons not relevant, #1 not preferred and #3 has already failed. Thank you!
Old 11-11-2015, 02:10 PM   #4
Admiral

Don't leave the boat with the sink-shaped board in place. Store it somewhere else.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:19 PM   #5
Lieutenant

Can you unscrew the handle, and move it slightly then rescrew it so the board wont open it? usually fawcet handles have a star pattern that allows you to move it one tooth.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:35 PM   #6
Lt. JG

I was not able to find a way to add a valve to turn off the water supply under the sink. The only exposed hoses were in the engine compartment and that seemed to be too much of a hassle to climb into compartment to turn off sink water supply when leaving the boat. With great struggle, since no regular screwdriver was short enough to work between the sink handle and the side of the cockpit sink, I was able to change the position of the faucet handle which will now have no chance of turning on when the board covering the sink is put in place. Thanks for the suggestions.