Old 05-23-2017, 02:02 AM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Water drain

I have a 1998 Maxum 32 scr
There it a drain pipe in center of boat under fuel tank i get water out of it ? The front bilge is dry and under both seats in aft cabin , seems to come in around fuel tank area to at times it is clear water my fresh water holding tank it dry too but i do use city water at slip
any info would be of great help , chasing this is driving me crazy ?

gmc60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:36 PM   #2

There are bulkheads between sections of bilge. There are limber holes, which are comprised of a glassed in tube at the bottom center of most of the bulkheads. The bilge space underneath the fuel tank drains back into the engine bilge, for example.

Your in Ma. so I assume the boat is kept in saltwater. Fist thing to do is determine if the water is salt or fresh. (i.e. coming up from below, or down from above). It sounds like you've already done that.

This could be a scupper leak, freshwater system leak, or a leak in the rub rail and/or rail stanchions. I wouldn't suggest 'tasting' the water. Buy a salt detection kit. Bilge water is not just nasty, it can be potentially very unhealthy. (Mechanic in Fla. died a few years ago due to a nasty bacterial infection from 'tongue testing' bilge water. Obviously this is a very rare, worst case scenario).

If you suspect your freshwater system, you could throw a little food coloring into the tank and run it out all of the lines to the faucets, then watch to see if the water turns color. (When I had a holding tank leak, the blue water, was a dead giveaway).

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:54 PM   #3
Admiral

I had a leak in the galley faucet below the counter top. I chased a reason for water collecting in the bilge (very small amount) for months and then just happen to stumble on the drip while digging in the cabinet below the sink for something.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:09 PM   #4
Captain

When I bought my boat, p.o. said don't leave the water system on, it leaks somewhere and the pump runs constantly.

I found the leak, the stern shower was on, with the shut off switch on the shower head closed. If you've ever used those showers, the quick shut off is not really a valve, so it leaks.

It solved the problem!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:48 PM   #5
Lieutenant

or possibly condensation draining from the AC if you are using it?
bman440440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:05 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

Great ideas everyone has THANKS.
AC goes to shower pump the forward floors and stringers are dry to the aft cabin wall seems to be under fuel tank and happens when on city water ? In the center of boat under fuel tank i see a drain but dont understand where it comes from . anyone have the drain layout for my boat or know what feeds that drain.
Went to boat today was dry, so i assume the city water is the prob.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:17 AM   #7
Lt. Commander

Default Dry

So i went down to boat slip today engine room dry as a bone . No city water on in 2 days ???, so there must be a water line leaking that makes it leak out of center drain under fuel tank, i put a fiber optic camera in it did not see to much. Thant's about as for as i can go unless someone knows what drains are hooked to center engine room drain ? Aft cab dry as a bone also left , right and center ??
Thanks