Old 03-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
Commander

Default Tenders - WHAT SIZE

Hello all,

Im interested to know who out there has a tender boat and what size did you go for in relation to your boat, I am wanting to get one for the 3500 SCR, and researching on the net have found it to be nothing short of confusing.
After experience,suggestions and even bad decisions made or what you didn't get but now wish you had thought of when purchasing.

Cheers

Huddo

Huddo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
Admiral

Well first welcome to the website Huddo!!! Great to have you aboard..........

I don't have a tender for my 3000 SCR but if I did it would be relative to the size of whatever size of boat that I am on. Meaning it will fit being tied up in back or on the ski platform. So maybe approach it that way?

How are you going to attach it to your boat? There are various types of davit systems that you could use, but again the tender has to fit the width of your ski platform .

I hope this helps or gets you started in a positive way... and hopefully others will chime in that have had the experience and offer more help.

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
Commander

Roger,

Thanks for your feedback, I have only been on this forum since last September and I must say I love it, its awesome to be in contact with other people around the world who have a similar passion "MAXUM". And people who are more than willing to share their knowledge/time and opinion.

I have been doing some homework and know some of the things to look out for
*Size of storage area - Towed/complete pack-up/davit system/swim platform hangers etc
*Number of people being transported
*Usage other than simple transporting from and to shore

But what I have found is that the more you ask the more you learn and often someone has done research and can share or even made a purchase used for a while then had the statement "if only i had just ordered....."

I will look forward to the feedback but in the meantime, i would like to put a huge thanks out to everyone who comes here, this site is awesome and has been a very helpful tool for me, I just hope that reading through the posts soon I may have an answer for someone who needs it.

Huddo
Old 03-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
Admiral

welcome to the zoo Huddo...

I have been on search of a good dink....a buddy of mine upgraded and gave me his old one...I need to get it repaired for leaks and all but I'll get that done in the next month or so...then mount it on my swimstep.....i have the bayliner 340 with an 11ft beam...so...a 10 ft dink is probably about right for it......

keep posting ...the more the merrier......
SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddo007 View Post

I have been doing some homework and know some of the things to look out for
*Size of storage area - Towed/complete pack-up/davit system/swim platform hangers etc
*Number of people being transported
*Usage other than simple transporting from and to shore
I would start out by asking you these questions first. I think we have the storage options under control, though I will say that unless you're running a Maxum sailboat, then towing should not even be on the radar. How many people regularly? How many people/guests periodically? What do you plan on doing wtih it?
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #6
Commander

Shrew thanks

Almost always would be 2 adults and one child (5yo) soon to be 2, mainly running from anchor to shore on sheltered island, guests would increase to 4 adults and 4 children. I am not sure if i should go soft floor or hard? it is mainly a transport option to shore, don't plan on doing towing with it or diving from it.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #7
Lt. Commander

HI Huddo
I have a 310 (10.5ft) air bottom tender with a 9.9hp motor... good size for us, I also bought the Hurley marine H2O dinghy davits that I would be installing next week to carrie the dinghy... If I could return my tender I would have gotten the fiberglass bottom one... too late is 6 years old...good luck
rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:51 PM   #8

Personally, I'd go with an air floor, not a hard floor. They are a bit easier to store than a hard floor. The 310 is a great model. The 275 has an inflatable floor and is a little bit shorter with slight less capacity. I have the soft floor (roll-up) model. I'd prefer the inflatable floor and air keel for my next boat.

I'd be looking at these:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=50606
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
Commander

Shrew,

Thanks for that, I was looking at that very model and size!, you mention that you have the soft floor (roll-up) model, i have not been able to see one of these "rolled up" when it is rolled up is it a manageable item?
Old 03-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #10
Commander

Shrew,

Scratch the last just found this video and it shows it from the box

Think i will go this way

Old 04-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #11
Ensign

I carry a West Marine 9-ft. dinghy on a 3700SCR and it has worked great. I installed Weaver davits that carry the boat well and also offer stability when boarding the dinghy. I also rigged a place in the engine compartment to carry a small outboard motor.

Tom Shideler
tomcica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:23 AM   #12
Lt. JG

Huddo - I have 3200scr n I use 10 ft. Hard bottom inflatable with 15 hp merc.. I have had great luck, can handle 3-4 adults if u like sitting on the pontoons. With my style of boat I had to get Davits with a 4" drop to fit the platform.
Capt348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:33 AM   #13
Commander

Caprt348 thanks for that, my only concern with davits is the remaining piece on the platform, I know these are low and rounded edges but cant help but think with wet "soft" little feet on the kids we will run into stubbed toes etc, I had enough trouble with the last boat and a fold up uncovered but recessed access ladder although the kids are getting older and understand a little more now
Old 04-27-2012, 02:47 AM   #14
Lt. JG

Understood when the ding. Is out they can b cumbersome.

Capt348 is offline   Reply With Quote