Old 03-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Starting procedures for new yacht owner

hey, howdy ya'll! First time yacht owner. Wife and I just bought a 96 3200 SCR. Twin 5.7s. Since this is the first 'big' boat I've owned with I/Os, I was wondering if anyone had a starting procedure they are happy with. Thanks for the replies!

Reddleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
Captain

After it sits for a couple days....turn over engine until oil pressure gauge comes up....then pump about 3 times....then she will fire right up..... Need to build fuel pressure before starting....and old merc. mechanic told me this trick....if only a day or so of sitting, just a couple pumps and she should fire.....

Old 03-12-2013, 01:27 AM   #3
Commander

I have the 95 3200 SCR, what works for me is: turn on bilge blower for several minutes (blah, blah, blah, we all know this part).

Start the engine that has the power steering first, on mine its the starboard engine. Turn key but not all the way to start, just enough for the electrical gauges to work. Push throttle level one full press all the way up, back all the way down, and then 1/4 up. Since the boat is new to you, at this point check if the choke has closed the carb. If it hasn't it, you need to figure and fix that. If carb/choke check out okay, turn the ignition key all the way, if engine doesn't start after a few seconds, stop, and push the throttle up a bit and back down. These 5.7 motors are like old Chevy engines, have to prime them a bit like HavaMax said. On new or newly rebuilt carbs, they should start with a single pump of the throttle. Repeat for the other motor.

Now the fun, check for idle and timing. The specs should be on the top cover of your engine. Note, the idle check must be performed while the engine is in gear, not in neutral. Engine timing should also be spot on. Have fun and welcome to the party.
jamanati is offline   Reply With Quote