Old 01-07-2020, 06:13 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Starboard oil filter on 4600

Anyone have a suggestion to ease the torture I have in changing the starboard engine oil filter on my 4600 with Cummins 450's. I need a skinny body and 6 foot arms. I can only seem to access by lying across front of engine which leaves me one hand (barely) to hold the heavy filter and screw on. They should have mounted it INBOARD.

pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:23 PM   #2
Admiral

Add a remote filter.

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:41 PM   #3
Ensign

Default 4600 Starboard oil filter

I hate to ask, but how much is it to have a remote oil filter installed
Old 01-09-2020, 01:37 AM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate View Post
I hate to ask, but how much is it to have a remote oil filter installed
The aftermarket kits range from $50 to $300 plus labor of about 2 hours to install. If you don’t want to do it ask your mechanic for a quote.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:32 PM   #5

Don't decide now. Do an oil change, then while swapping the filter, ask yourself "If I paid someone $300-$400 to never do this again, would it be worth it". If you feel yourself subconsciously reaching for your wallet, then go call your mechanic.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:25 AM   #6
Lt. Commander

Listen to Shrew. First try to find a skinny friend. It's a 5 minute job to swap filters once the skinny guy is in there. I think the remote kit installed would run at least $500.
dbriceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:08 PM   #7

Here is an alternative I learned from my mechanic and have had some success. If you have a really tight spot, find a family on the dock with a kid around 13-15. The kid is usually bored and the parents love opportunities to keep them busy. Approach the parents (Do your self a favor and DO NOT approach the kid, there is a possibility your intentions will be mistaken) and offer to pay their kid for a few hours worth of work. I watched mechanic once hold a girl around 14 (and maybe 75lbs soaking wet) upside by her ankles while she swapped out a water pump. The only other way to reach it was to remove the fuel pump, which required removing a manifold and riser. A full grown adult couldn't get his hand on the last bolt.

If you want the kid to come back on a regular basis, don't keep them working for more than a few hours (Introducing a 13 yr old to an 8 hr day is a rough initiation for a kid.
Besides, to a 13 year kid, $20/hr ($60) is a lot of money). I also treat them like an adult. They really seem to respond well to that.

Life is easier with a bilge monkey on retainer.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:17 PM   #8
Ensign

Thanks to all. After two oil changes, I feel a strong urge to reach for the wallet. I may get an estimate from my marina, and see if my hand still is reaching for the wallet (LOL) The search for a responsible 14-15 year old sounds good too, but may be a difficult option in my marina (mostly old folks like me). Thanks to all again.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:37 PM   #9
Lieutenant

I picked up a Cummins OEM remote filter adapter on ebay for about $100. Had to re-design the mount a bit but it was well worth the effort. If you can spin on a filter you can install the remote adapter. If you don't already have one an oil change system like Reverso is also a good investment.

Steve
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate View Post
The search for a responsible 14-15 year old sounds good too, but may be a difficult option in my marina (mostly old folks like me). Thanks to all again.
We're not expecting them to work unsupervised.

The age demographic is pretty similar just about everywhere. Young families tend to have less disposable income to boat, or the family activities create time conflicts. Once the kids get to around 16+, they start to stay home more and are down at the marina less frequently. Obviously you don't want an 8 year old doing it. I was at a dockominium for a few years where there was a very tight-knot family with two teenage boys (16-19-ish). They basically started a side hustle doing maintenance (painting, washing, waxing, detailing). Since this marina had no services available, people loved it.
Old 06-08-2020, 04:20 AM   #11
Ensign

Sorry to be late to the thread, but I replaced a remote filter after a previous owner put some crap on that would not hold a seal and blew oil all over the engine room after I put a new filter on. I got the kit from sbmar and had the local marina mechanic install it. kit was 550 back in 2016 and the install was 5.5 hours of labor to remove the old system and replace with new. overall job was $1100 for parts and labor
infiniti00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 12:56 AM   #12
Ensign

Thanks for the advice, never to late. I'll check what kit goes for now, and how much my marina will charge to install.
Old 08-27-2020, 11:20 PM   #13
Ensign

I feel your pain Ray and Sandy Boat Ohana 4100 sca with 330 cummins. Can't fit to change starboard oil filter at 230 lbs,but will ask son at 120 lbs next year. Just had Heat Exhangers cleaned $2900, good luck to you,
ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 01:27 AM   #14
Lieutenant

Location: Live in Mandevill, LA - Boat in Pensacola & Perdido, FL

I'm not sure how the 46' is configured, but at least with the 41 SCA you can lay across the Port engine battery housing and work the filter in with you left hand. But a real "mess and challenge" to squeeze the mostly filled new filter between the engine hoses, heat EX, etc. with out dumping it all in the bilge. Cursing is mandatory!! Good luck!

Glenn111 is offline   Reply With Quote