Old 10-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
Commander

Default Sinking..... Not on my watch!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350812296.592473.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	2391

Found the above today, the coupler on the v drive with the 1/4 inch line going in seems to have a PLASTIC fitting that had split, now taking on water!!! Does anyone know what size that little stupid plastic fitting is, because at this stage I'm sleeping on the boat til sun rise then having it lifted so I can take out and not have water poor in

Huddo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #2

UG, not much sleep going on I would imagine. Hard to sleep on a boat you know is slowly sinking. Not sure on teh answer, hopefully someone will chime in. Best of luck.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:46 AM   #3
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
UG, not much sleep going on I would imagine. Hard to sleep on a boat you know is slowly sinking. Not sure on teh answer, hopefully someone will chime in. Best of luck.
Your correct not much sleeping at all!!!

Stayed up until Midnight monitoring the situation then slepy until 4am and started the longest 2 hour ride down river to the boat yard to be lifted

At this point I would like to raise everyones attention to this issue, If you have the V Drive PLEASE read on

The fitting on the coupler on the shaft is made from PLASTIC, it has NO shutoff valve ability so once it starts to leak you are done for, yes your bilge pumps can keep up with the flow but heaven forbid they shutdown, the brase replacement fitting I got from my local hose master for $4, it cost me $500 to lift the boat, hate to think of the costs of sinking her.

Below is the fitting, its a 1/4 inch straight through, if you have your boat out for any reason do yourself the favour and replace this at once.

Name:	Connector.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	2394

This is the plastic fitting

Below is the new $4 boat saving fitting

Name:	new fitting.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	2395

All was not lost for me though, whilst the boat was out of the water I re-applied the anit-foul bottom paint, changed the annodes, replaced the transducer on the depthsounder and gave her a general birthday, heres for not having to take her out again this summer.

Please feel free to let people know about the fitting as I am still a little shocked that it is made from Plastic and I spend many a night on the boat with a young family and would not have been impressed with this happening on vacation

Cheers

Huddo
Old 10-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #4
Lt. Commander

thanks for the tip, I will check and replace mine! I hope you change both!
rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:10 AM   #5
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigo View Post
thanks for the tip, i will check and replace mine! I hope you change both!
you bet i did!
Old 12-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
Lt. JG

Default More info please

Thanks for posting this info. Could you also share make, model, year and hours on your boat. I am planning on pulling my 4100 SCA this Spring and want to make sure I refresh all necessary parts.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddo007 View Post
Attachment 2391

Found the above today, the coupler on the v drive with the 1/4 inch line going in seems to have a PLASTIC fitting that had split, now taking on water!!! Does anyone know what size that little stupid plastic fitting is, because at this stage I'm sleeping on the boat til sun rise then having it lifted so I can take out and not have water poor in
SunChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #7

Your best bet is to obtain a Mercruiser service manual for the engine and drive package. It goes through all the regular maintenance and details how to disassemble and reassemble again. It includes all the parts necessary as well. Short of that, consider getting a good certified Merc Mechanic.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:34 PM   #8
Commander

Sunchaser - Mine is the 3500 SCR 2002 and only had 150 hours on it, It is 10 years old but only 8 months old to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunChaser View Post
Thanks for posting this info. Could you also share make, model, year and hours on your boat. I am planning on pulling my 4100 SCA this Spring and want to make sure I refresh all necessary parts.

Thanks