Old 06-21-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default New to Me 3300 SCR

Please allow me to introduce myself. I currently have a Chaparral 230 SSi and have been dreaming of an express cruiser suitable for overnighting, etc. A few weeks ago at a local boat show (Seattle, Lake Union) I stumbled across a '99 Maxum 3300SCR. It was pretty much love at first sight. I really like the plan and layout. I came to the Maxum forum to see what others have to say about their 3300's and discovered "Bella". With her as my inspiration I made an offer on Saturday. Offer accepted yesterday; sea trial today, first day of Summer and a beautiful one here in the usually soggy NW.
Assuming all goes well today it's up in the slings for a hull and outdrive survey followed my a mechanical inspection in the next week or so.
Wondering if any of the Seattle locals have seen "Five O'clock Somewhere" out and about. Cool thing is that's the origianl name and I see no reason to change it; after all, It's ....

Only real concern I have is the 7.4 MPI power, I've never fed a big block before and certainly not twins....

Twmcneilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
Admiral

WELCOME to the zoo...
glad you could join us and I'm not far from you up in Everett....we moore our boat at dagmars which is convenient to either direction ...the 3300 is a great layout...for me if we didn't get this 340 bayliner..we'd have a 3300 for sure...I found a few in my searches and although the right size..they were used up and in need of some serious repair......
we finally got a day of sunshine today so here's to hoping you get some seatime early....the 7.4engines are torque monsters....but as you know....hp is the sq root of the dollar...and gas goes faster than a dollar can be minted....figure on about 21-22 gals per hr..depending on sea state and winds, tides..wallet size....in other words it goes fast....

hopefully the inspection will be great and you can get in the water soon...

where will you be mooring your boat??...
keep us informed....take lotsa pictures....

SP

PS..NEWBIE BUYS THE BEER!!!!

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

we finally got a day of sunshine today so here's to hoping you get some seatime early....the 7.4engines are torque monsters....but as you know....hp is the sq root of the dollar...and gas goes faster than a dollar can be minted....figure on about 21-22 gals per hr..depending on sea state and winds, tides..wallet size....in other words it goes fast....

hopefully the inspection will be great and you can get in the water soon...

where will you be mooring your boat??...
keep us informed....take lotsa pictures....

SP

PS..NEWBIE BUYS THE BEER!!!![/QUOTE]

But when you are out its worth every penny
Warpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:58 PM   #4
Admiral

You didn't get into boating to save money........I think you will love those big block torque machines because your going to get better gas mileage than having the small blocks. The ease of power that the big blocks will have moving that 3300 of yours will be amazing. Sure open them up and your going to glup some gas but then instead of four barrel carbs you have the MPI's helping you ration some of that gas for you.

Good luck on your trial run!

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:34 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

I've had my 2000 3300SCR and I'm in love with this boat. We have the 7.4's as well and at this point I can't speak a lot to gas but can say information to work on them is easily findable. I've also ran into a couple people who put Stingray hydrofoils on theirs and swear they save a bundle.

Just enjoy, and avoid reading Bella Serra's posts. They keep getting me in trouble wanting to do more and more projects. Looking at those pictures will cost you more than the gas...

Enjoy.
tackleshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:06 PM   #6

Red face My ears were burning for some reason………..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackleshep View Post
Just enjoy, and avoid reading Bella Serra's posts. They keep getting me in trouble wanting to do more and more projects. Looking at those pictures will cost you more than the gas...

Enjoy.
Allright, allright, you guys! No one forced you to click on my posts! LOL! Can I help it if I have a vivid imagination of improving the Bella Sera??!! I’m honored by those of you who have been inspired by my upgrades. Just the same way I am inspired as well by many others that I have seen here.

In all seriousness though, the 3300SCR is in my humble opinion the quintessential express cruiser. The dimensions of this boat are what I believe to be perfect harmony in order to “maximize” (pardon the pun!) both space and speed, 36.5’ LOA x 11’3” beam. The 33 centerline length is the magic number because it yields incredible sport boat like performance in both speed and handling with the combination of the twin 350MAGBIII power package. Once you get much bigger than the 34 foot range and more importantly go to inboard drives…..its “game over” in my opinion because you start to lose serious top speed (17-18 MPH ) and cruising speed drops from mid 30’s to the mid 20’s. :-(

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE BIG BOATS!! But as far as my personal choice for a long term and perhaps lifelong ownership of a boat, the 3300SCR gets my vote every time I compare it to other brands layout. From the ingenious cockpit configuration with the back to back seats that fold down to a double bed, to the left of center entrance companionway door that yields stand up head room in the aft cabin, instead of a center placed door that sadly shrinks the aft cabin to a crawl space instead.

The Galley is the best layout I have ever seen on a boat this size. Great counter space, double bowl sink for doing dishes, to the four person dinette setup that is so nice for setting two couples down to a nice dinner. I have n-e-v-e-r seen any other galley that I would have been able to install the oven/range in as well because of the cabinet that is below it.

I could go on forever praising the accolades of the 3300SCR. Suffice it to say the Maxum engineers and designers took all the best they knew from their combined hundreds of years experience in building boats and poured it into her creating a timeless classic Express Cruiser.

Mission Accomplished!

Bella Sera 3300SCR

P.S. I beg to differ with Biggerseagar’s claim that you will get better mileage with 454’s vs. the 350MAG’s; I have a 2001’ 3300SCR friend in my pool on the Miss that has the big blocks with the same B3’s and although his cruise speed is the same (36-37 MPH) as mine, his fuel burn is 1 mile per gallon verses Bella’s 1.2. ;-)

Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:45 PM   #7
Admiral

Hey Bella...........I couldn't agree more! I had a chance to buy a 98 3300( or was it a 3200?) and had to think smaller because of a slip problem. Kick myself in the butt........thats life :-)

The boss and I still love our 2001 3000! I had a friend that when we started to look for bigger boats pointed me toward the Chaparrals and just did not like the lay-out. Saw the Maxum lay-out and it was instant love!

Oh........I still think he will get better gas mileage as long as he keeps the RPM's down IMHO- LOL Where do you hook up the ski ropes!

Roger
Old 06-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #8
Admiral

is that girl topless????.....

oh yeah......what those guys said about the 3300scr...great boat....

no really....is she topless??

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #9

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy View Post
no really....is she topless??

SP
Of course not SP, I think anyone can plainly see Bella has her Bimini Tops on!!

Bella Sera 3300SCR

(and yes, She, my trophy girlfriend is. too bad I was so far away when I took this??)
Old 06-22-2011, 04:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerseagar View Post
Hey Bella...........I couldn't agree more! I had a chance to buy a 98 3300( or was it a 3200?) and had to think smaller because of a slip problem. Kick myself in the butt........thats life :-)

The boss and I still love our 2001 3000! I had a friend that when we started to look for bigger boats pointed me toward the Chaparrals and just did not like the lay-out. Saw the Maxum lay-out and it was instant love!

Oh........I still think he will get better gas mileage as long as he keeps the RPM's down IMHO- LOL Where do you hook up the ski ropes!

Roger
Hey Rog-

Thank you. The 3000SCR is basically the 3300's younger brother with the same genes!

Now as for the 7.4 MPI fuel burn being less vs. the 350MAG, tell that to my friend after we cruised 120 miles one way to the Cities on the Miss and He burned 120 gals to my 100. do the math, it works! 1 MPG vs. 1.2 MPG a head to head comparison traveling the same speed and distance.

Enjoy that beautiful boat!

Bella Sera 3300SCR
Old 06-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #11
Admiral

Hummmmm naked women on a boat.........what is the world coming to?
Old 06-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerseagar View Post
Hummmmm naked women on a boat.........what is the world coming to?
OH!!!- THE HUMANITY!!!

Bella Sera 3300SCR
Old 06-23-2011, 05:40 AM   #13
Lt. JG

Yesterday worked out just great. No surprises. All mechanicals seemed just fine. Broker had a portfolio with what appears to be a complete set of documentation of maintenance and some repairs by current owner; including a brand new bow thruster installed lest than six months ago! Boat has just recently had spring service. Looks like she's all set for the season.
Those 7.4s really put her on step quicker than I expected. We had half a tank of fuel and four souls on board. Max speed looks to be about 40 and with very limited time to experiment; easy cruise looks to be at 3000-3200rpm and about 25 mph. The sunshine showed that gel coat could use a cleaning and polishing more that it appeared on a wet overcast day. I have a buddy who just Polycoated his 98 Maxum (burgundy hull and cream topsides) and it turned out superb, so I think I'll follow suit.
Now it's haul and survey time. I think I'll go for an engine inspection as well.
Planning on mooring at Newport Yacht Basin for this season since it's very close to home and I'll be able to get down there weeknights for detailing and fooling around without a major commute.
So far so good.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:30 PM   #14

Sounds like you're a proud new 3300SCR owner there Twmcneilly! Or at the very least on his way to being one. That bow thruster sounds intriguing! Awesome! That will no doubt come in handy when the wind catches your bow while docking. One question though, your top speed should be high 40's and the cruise should be mid 30's at the very least with 7.4's. What are the drives? B2's (single props) That would explain it if so and would be more typical of that power package. By saying "Polycoated" if you meant Poliglow, you won't regret it. I love it and will never pick up a buffer to wax again, YES!!

http://www.maxumownersclub.com/forum...xing-has-begun

Enjoy our new toy!

Bella Sera 3300SCR
Old 06-24-2011, 07:15 PM   #15
Lt. JG

7.4 MPI, You got me thinking more about the speeds. I started out with tabs down (not sure how much - no indicators, and I'm obvioulsy not familiar with them). Boat came on plane very nicely and I raised the tabs till i got max speed; that was 40. What I didn't do was play with the drive trim. They were fully IN. Is that where the extra 10mph come from? I know my Chappy with Duoprop definately picks up speed with proper trim. I wasn't sure about trimming the drives on such a big beast. Now I wish I could try it agian.
Oh and Yes - I meant poliglow.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #16
Lt. JG

Fingers got ahead of brain again. Drives are BIII.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:34 PM   #17
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

You will pick up a couple of hundered RPM's and 1 or 2 MPH when you trim the drives up.

Unfortunately, you are definitely not going to see upper 40's in a 12000 boat with 640-ish HP. From that I've read 40, 41, MPH is right in line for that boat with those engines/drives.

Consider that my 24', 8'6" beam cuddy - weighing in at about 5K, tops out right around 50 with 300 HP and a B3 drive. That 33 is more than twice the weight, has a LOT more hull in the water creating drag, and has an additional out drive in the water creating drag, while having just barely over twice the HP.

Still thou, 40 MPH in that size boat with that power package is respectable performance. I sure wouldn't be displeased.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd View Post
You will pick up a couple of hundered RPM's and 1 or 2 MPH when you trim the drives up.

Unfortunately, you are definitely not going to see upper 40's in a 12000 boat with 640-ish HP. From that I've read 40, 41, MPH is right in line for that boat with those engines/drives.

Dan
Dan

SP (see below) and I beg to differ...we have 350MAGBIII's for a total PSHP of 600 screamin ponies (40-60 less than T7.4's). Bella Sera's most efficient cruise (1.2MPG) speed is 36-37 MPH (3650 RPM) with a WOT (5200 RPM) speed of 48-49 (GPS indicated) with half water / gas.

Sooooooooo.................... as Ricky Ricardo used to say "Loo-say, you got some splain-nin' to do!"

Have a great weekend Maxum Gang!

Bella Sera 3300SCR

P.S. my drives are always all in, Tabs full down for takeoff (tray tables ups and chairs in their full upright position!) then trim tabs out just till she starts to porpoise. Thank you for flying Bella Airways!

************************************************** *********************************************
"ok...my Bayliner 340 is equipt with 2 5.7ltr mpi engines and B3 drives...I got 48mph out of her with a full bag of gas and only me on the boat and I hadn't even started to trim the drives up any."...

Sp
************************************************** *********************************************

Old 06-25-2011, 07:17 PM   #19
Lt. Commander

I dont know about that. I have the 7.4 b3 pack and the fastest (speedo) ive had her is 43
tackleshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #20

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackleshep View Post
I dont know about that. I have the 7.4 b3 pack and the fastest (speedo) ive had her is 43
Tell you what T, if your're ever in Winona stop in and prepare to be amazed what the 350MAGS at 5200 RPM's can do. My personal opinion of the big blocks is that what you gain in torque and and Hp is eatin up by the extra weight and lower WOT RPM. Now if you have 454MAGS, 385 hp that a different story altogether. But it would have to be aftermarket becasue the 3300's hull in only rated for 660HP Max.