Old 11-22-2011, 02:37 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Need advice about 46 scb

My wife and I are seriously considering buying a 46 scb. I have an opportunity to buy one with the Cummins 370's for a real deal and its immaculate. If I want to get the comparable year in the Cummins 450, I will be paying about 40k more. I would like to hear from owners of both boats. I have seen the fuel usage charts and am aware the 450's will provide better top end speed and better fuel economy, but 40k will buy a lot of fuel. Thanks in advance for any advice.

cvandlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
Admiral

welcome to the zoo and keep us posted....on the different engines...I've never heard anyone ever say ...boy I wished I had a smaller engine.....so...yeah..your gonna pay more for the larger setup..but the benefits are obvious....better hp..torque...thus the engine doesn't work as hard....but..the main thing is for you to love the boat..it's a big investment and the two of you will have to work as a team...

keep us informed...but there are a few others with that sized boat here ..hopefully they will chime in...

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:56 AM   #3
Ensign

My wife and I just purchase a 46 scb. she's got the 450s in her. She really performs well under both rough conditions and calm. I talked to a lot of people that sent the 370s was a little underpowered for that size boat. I never rode in the boat that with the 370s so it's hard for me to judge. The only advice I can give is take your time get what you really want get a really good survey . if you're looking for a big boat now is the time to buy one there a lot of great deals out there. That being said you are most likely to be sitting on this purchase for a while so take your time and look around. I will say this about the boat the wife and I did a lot of homework and this particular boat has a lot of great features servicing the boat has a lot of easy access compartments and everything is relatively easy to get to. As she does have a couple of issues the bow railing is definitely flimsy. On the bridge there is a drunk bum. But overall she is a solid boat the wife and I both love it. She's got her sexy and I've got a little bit of fishing room so all is good. Not sure if this is the advice you are looking for but something to think about. Jimmy
hammer time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:14 AM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer time View Post
My wife and I just purchase a 46 scb. she's got the 450s in her. She really performs well under both rough conditions and calm. I talked to a lot of people that sent the 370s was a little underpowered for that size boat. I never rode in the boat that with the 370s so it's hard for me to judge. The only advice I can give is take your time get what you really want get a really good survey . if you're looking for a big boat now is the time to buy one there a lot of great deals out there. That being said you are most likely to be sitting on this purchase for a while so take your time and look around. I will say this about the boat the wife and I did a lot of homework and this particular boat has a lot of great features servicing the boat has a lot of easy access compartments and everything is relatively easy to get to. As she does have a couple of issues the bow railing is definitely flimsy. On the bridge there is a drunk bum. But overall she is a solid boat the wife and I both love it. She's got her sexy and I've got a little bit of fishing room so all is good. Not sure if this is the advice you are looking for but something to think about. Jimmy

Thanks for the info. Thats some great info. Any comment on the speed and fuel usage?
Old 11-23-2011, 02:29 AM   #5
Admiral

oh yeah..definitely get it surveyed.........

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:42 AM   #6
Ensign

Depending on the sea conditions a good calm day with following sea at 2200 RPMs I was running between 18 and 19 knots. I ran about 100 miles and guesstimated about hundred and 40 gallons of fuel. From what I am understanding from most people you can get one mile per gallon to 1 1/2 miles per gallon. It really just depends upon how fast you want to go. my boat cruises pretty good at 2000 RPMs and I am running around 12 knots and she really gets good fuel mileage. My 450s spec out at 2600 RPMs I can get her to 2550 RPMs with quarter tank of fuel I was running around 24 knots. Again not sure what the 370s should turn. Or what type of fuel mileage they should get. I did read one survey are down in Florida say that you did not want to push those 370s I think the wife found a website called survey.com or something like that had a bunch of great info on that boat. Jimmy
Old 11-23-2011, 03:07 AM   #7
Ensign

a little more food for thought in my opinion Cummins does not build a bad motor. You are definitely on the right track as far as what type of motor to have in a boat. I have got them in dump trucks to work boats you take care of them and they will take care you. And you ever seen a Cummins car. they build motors. And if you want an outboard Suzuks are bulletproof. Oh well hope this helps you. Jimmy
Old 11-23-2011, 06:35 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

Like Hammer, I have the 450's and run the boat at 2200 rpm (18-19knots) and get about .8-.9 mpg. I top out at about 24-25knots. The boat runs really well and yes has very flimsy rails (the only fault assides from a small cockpit). I would think the 370's would drop 3-4knots. It sounds like you must be getting a great deal with the 370's. My 2000 4600scb ran about 150k 2 years ago. It's a buyers market. Good luck! It's a really nice boat.
dbriceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:58 PM   #9
Ensign

Has anyone tried replacing the flimsy bow rails? That seems to be a consistent complaint...
Old 11-24-2011, 12:24 AM   #10
Ensign

Hey thanks for your feedback on your The boat we just bought is the 2000 model as well. I like to 8 to 9 miles per gallon I hope that is correct. I am, shooting from the hip on numbers on fuel mileage haven't had the long enough to really get dolled in. I agree on the small cockpit but I can live with it. The layout motors and the rest of the boat kind of make up for it. I do love the large swim platform I think this will work out great for the dinghy and diving off it. The compartments on the stern of the boat that whole tanks is going to work out really good for us. Hammer is kind of my nickname and name of my company is hammer time Marine. We drive large pilings to hold those big boats. Jimmy
Old 11-24-2011, 12:38 AM   #11
Ensign

hey any of the East Coast boys looking to make a run next January to Florida? The wife and I are mapping out a plan to make the trip. Thinking of staying between Fort Lauderdale and Miami Beach. Miami Beach boat show is middle of February and man is really something to see. Would love to make a run over to the Bahamas as well. Head back up the coast towards the end of February. Saving my pennies for a fuel. Jimmy
Old 03-26-2012, 02:42 AM   #12
Lieutenant

Location: Live in Mandevill, LA - Boat in Pensacola & Perdido, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer time View Post
Hey thanks for your feedback on your The boat we just bought is the 2000 model as well. I like to 8 to 9 miles per gallon I hope that is correct. I am, shooting from the hip on numbers on fuel mileage haven't had the long enough to really get dolled in. I agree on the small cockpit but I can live with it. The layout motors and the rest of the boat kind of make up for it. I do love the large swim platform I think this will work out great for the dinghy and diving off it. The compartments on the stern of the boat that whole tanks is going to work out really good for us. Hammer is kind of my nickname and name of my company is hammer time Marine. We drive large pilings to hold those big boats. Jimmy
8-9 mpg???? Wow, that's great. What kind of engine, speed?
Glenn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn111 View Post
8-9 mpg???? Wow, that's great. What kind of engine, speed?
Welcome aboard Glenn111!!!!

The post you referenced was a either a typo or a misunderstanding. The post hammer time is referring to was a few posts earlier and the poster stated approx. 0.8 to 0.9 mpg, which is still fantastic. Only a sailboat will see 8-9MPG fuel consumption.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote