Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Yachts
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-05-2014, 09:02 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Maxum 4100 SCA

Hi everyone,
Looking at 2001 Maxum 4100 SCA, Cummins 330. I have been doing a lot of research on the 4100 Maxum, they seem to be a well built boat. My question is how do they perform with the 330 Cummins. I'm not looking for a speedboat but was wondering how they do and what type of fuel consumption at a good cruising speed. I haven't seen many with the Cummins 370 HP locally. I boat on the upper Chesapeake.

Thanks
Joe

jdidonato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
Admiral

Welcome Joe......don't have that size of boat but what I have seen in the boats ads alot of the 4100's have the cummin's engine. Now to answer your question ...I hope someone will chime in with some experience with all this that I don't have. The obvious is to take a nice cruise in one and put it through the ringer.

Hopefully someone can answer all your questions about this boat and the engine sizes.

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:56 AM   #3
Lieutenant

Not familiar with boat, but since I've been scouting our next step in boating, I'll let you know what I've come across.

From what I've heard, Cummins are preferable over Cats. In additional to hiring a good surveyor, you will want a report from a certified Cummins tech

In the 36'-38' range, Big Block gas engines are fine, but once you get up into the 40'+ range, you'll want diesels. Given that the 4100 is right at that threshold, those Cummins should perform fine.

Diesels are going to be expensive to maintain, but you'll save money in fuel plus the torque and bigger props will make it easier to dock.

Gas engines are expected to last around 1,000 hours, but diesels should last twice as long. Downside is that diesels are going to be a lot more to replace when the time comes.

As I said before, get it surveyed. Even if everything major checks out, it will give a Honey-Do list of all the little items that will need attention. Remember that some of the best deals are the ones that never went thru (been there, done that).

Good luck with the purchase.
AlwaysSober is offline   Reply With Quote