Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Yachts
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Maxum 3700 sounds loud?

Hi guys,

I am a new member here and I just upgraded to a 2006 Maxum 3700 from a Bayliner 3055. I love my boat but I find it kind of noisy. It sound loud, is there something I can do to make it sound quieter? It almost sounds like a off shore boat!! lol.. Maybe it's just I am not accustom to this??? Is there anybody that has some feedback for me on this? And what is the comfortable crusing speed and at what rpm? I have twins 8.1! but other than that i love this boat!!

Stephane

La P'tite Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Hi Stephane, congratulations on the new boat.

Your 3700 has two large displacement gasoline engines. I am guessing your 3055 had twin engines also, but probably much smaller displacement so I would guess that the 3700 would be a bit louder. But perhaps the previous owner of the 3700 fitted an after market exhaust system. The regular exhaust system exits through the out drives under water but the after market systems exit either through the transom or the sides of the hull above the water line. Might want to double check.

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
Captain

you did not say what year your Bayliner is but the new EPA rules outlaw under water exhaust system, so it sounds like a "hot rod" with the pipes out the side.

Also, you have catalytic converters like your car, so they are like $1,500.00 each to replace if they get wet.

i would think you should run 30mph @ 4100 rpm, 24mph @ 3200 rpm, 36mph @ 4800 rpm.
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pascavone View Post
you did not say what year your Bayliner is but the new EPA rules outlaw under water exhaust system, so it sounds like a "hot rod" with the pipes out the side.

Also, you have catalytic converters like your car, so they are like $1,500.00 each to replace if they get wet.
Can you please clarify?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
Admiral

I moved this to the sport yacht forum as it's a bit of a bigger boat than the sports cruisers......
Stephanie...welcome to the zoo....the 3700 with the 8.1ltr engines are big blocks...they ARE huge gas engines and are going to be loud no matter what you do...if your engine hatch doesn't have any insulation..then I'd look at glueing some of that silver stuff to the deck lid....but overall that's about all you can do..they have resiliant mounts on the engine mounts which translates the noise to the hull from the stringers....the exhaust goes out the back....so...that's about it....better be glad you don't have diesels cuz they would be even louder......being a bay owner myself ..I know that they run quietly but I've also driven the maxum big boat with big blocks and they are a bit noisier ..just the nature of the beast with a big block engine...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:11 AM   #6
Ensign

Thanks guys!!! The 3700 maxum has V-drives(shaft) and the exhausts are on the side of the boat. It's not the engine compartment that is noisy, it's that type of exhaust system. IT DOES SOUND LIKE A HOT ROD!! There is other cruisers in my marina with the same engines and they are quieter ....I was just wondering if there was any other 3700 owners that found them a little noisy for a cruiser??? And if there is anything that could be done to put it quieter??? Thanks again for all your input!!

Stephane
La P'tite Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:28 AM   #7
Admiral

if you have side exhausts...then nope....it's about as quiet as it's gonna get.......I'm also assuming that there is water shooting out the exhaust too....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:51 AM   #8
Captain

i was told you can buy resonators , which are a secondary muffler , like a glass pack mufflers.

the new design is pushing noise right into the air, and not muffled thru water.

the pipes rattle the marina.
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:19 AM   #9
Ensign

Hi Stephane,
They are just noisy. I got the same boat (love the boat) . I checked in it also, but you can't do much about it, bacause the exhausts are on the side.
dutchadrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:15 PM   #10
Ensign

I too purchased a3700 scr (2001) model year. Have had it for two months. It's loud as well. When I asked the mechanic it he said that is just the way it is.
Sean0309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:01 AM   #11
Commander

We cruise mostly at 1200 rpm and the sound level is not too bad. It is definitely loader the stern drives that exhaust underwater through the drives.
dronthelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:03 AM   #12
Lt. Commander

I have a 3500sy, same deal, the exhaust are on the side of the boat, not underwater this makes it louder,,,, sounds nice when underway even nicer on plane, there is nothing you can do about it, good luck.
rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:37 AM   #13
Commander

I also have the 3500 SCR with the twin 7.4's, I figure im paying the fuel bill I may as well hear where all that money is going -
Huddo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #14
Ensign

Just wanted to add my two cents. I have the 3500. It is quite loud also. The exhaust ports on the side apposed to below the water makes a huge difference. You may be able to get a new exhaust to reduce the noise. I prefer it. It helps me makes sure that they are performing where they should be without the gauges. Also, I just love that sound
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #15
Ensign

Default Maxum 3700 too loud

I just bought mine in May 2013 and agree, the generator alone was too loud as were the twin diesels. After 8 sheets of sound insulation from "stopthesound" .com I put three into the generator box, and five around the engine room ceiling and some of the upper sides where the seats are. You can actually have a comfortable conversation while underway (2300 rpm, 23mph). Wasn't the cheapest, but well worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by La P'tite Vie View Post
Thanks guys!!! The 3700 maxum has V-drives(shaft) and the exhausts are on the side of the boat. It's not the engine compartment that is noisy, it's that type of exhaust system. IT DOES SOUND LIKE A HOT ROD!! There is other cruisers in my marina with the same engines and they are quieter ....I was just wondering if there was any other 3700 owners that found them a little noisy for a cruiser??? And if there is anything that could be done to put it quieter??? Thanks again for all your input!!

Stephane

csjolie is offline   Reply With Quote