Old 12-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Looking for suggestions on how to find a Port side leak.

Are there any common areas to look for a leaks on the port side. I found a very wet area, just before the sliding glass door at the aft end of the stero cabinet. I removed the wood panel between the stero cabinet and the sliding glass door and found it to be very wet. The port hull behind the stero cabinet curves out and forms a shelf under the gunnel. Water is running somewhere from forward and I'm a little lost as too how to find it without tearing the port interior apart. Any suggestions on where to look or areas that are prone to leak on the 4600 SCB are welcome.

Flightlevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #2

Rub rail, rail stanchions, and hatches are the most common sources of water leaks on any boat regardless of make, model or size.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #3
Lieutenant

First dry it out. Make sure every screw is secure and start from the the lowest area above the leak working from back forward us a water hose and have someone watch the wet area. Do about 3 feet at a time that should narrow it down for you That should help locate it. Good Luck
William Ferrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

Shrew is probably right. I had an awful leak under the dinette that soaked the carpet. It was on of the rail stancheons. I used some clear silicone around the base. Problem solved, though I keep a close watch to see if I need to reseal it again. With the panel removed have a hose directed straight at the points the rail meets the hull and look for a leak. Mine flooded in when I put the hose on the right spot. I also had an issue one winter when I only wrapped the bridge. The wrap was tied to the rails which flexed the stancheon and another leak appeared. I sealed that one also. Good Luck
dbriceno is offline   Reply With Quote