Old 12-15-2021, 07:55 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Inverter Location?

Hello All, Looking for the Inverter location in my 4100 SCB dual helms. The book has it under the seats in the salon but I had that completely apart and its not there. I also find it strange that every plug on the boat comes from the inverter with a 7.5 amp fuse. I'm plugged in at the dock but don't actually have an outlet from that source. Any ideas?
Thanks

Mike459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 01:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike459 View Post
........ I also find it strange that every plug on the boat comes from the inverter with a 7.5 amp fuse.
Could you elaborate on this portion? Are you referring to outlets? Where are you seeing the fuses?

Did you check the engine compartment around either the batteries or battery charger?

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 05:48 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Thanks Shrew, for your reply. Admittedly, I discover new stuff about the boat almost every time I go... I plugged in a heat gun to shrink some sleeving and blew a fuse located in the star. locker on the swim step. All the 120v outlets were dead on the boat until I replaced the fuse. On another occasion I guess I overloaded the inverter and it shut off. so I jumped the inv battery from the house and reset it (found info on this forum). I'm still looking for the inverter/charger. I did look in the back hatch and I replaced 4 8d batteries there but didn't see it. I'll look again. When I had to reset the inv with jumper cables, I did notice fan noise from under the area of the setee when I restarted the inverter using the remote panel on the wall. Future plans are to install a 20amp outlet above the electrical panel wired to shore power for items that draw a lot of power.
Old 12-22-2021, 06:04 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

I would have thought an inverter would get located under the helm seat near the breaker panel if there was room. (I didn't have dual helms, I had the dinette) Otherwise check under the dash or in the utility room where the vacuflush & holding tank are.
dbriceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 06:34 PM   #5
Lt. JG

Thx for the reply. Not under the helm seat. The aft A/C and Electrical panel wires are there. I spent lots of time in the mid cabin side hatch removing and replacing the water heater and I didn't see it.
Old 12-29-2021, 12:52 PM   #6
Lieutenant

The inverter should be next to the largest battery bank or attached to an off location standalone bank. If you look in your manual, the DC wiring section should give an appx location of the inverter is its a factory install.

You should have three fuse locations... when I say fuse, it could be an actual inline fuse or a breaker in the breaker box panel.

Fuse 1: AC in (ie: Breaker in box that says Inverter) -- Maybe 20-30amp
Fuse 2: AC out (ie: Inverter breaker sub panel) -- Same as Fuse 1
Fuse 3: DC between battery and inverter which is could be as high as 250amps

Note: You will probably have a 4th breaker from the sub panel to the outlet breaker(s) which would probably be a 15amp

Fuses are based on wire size and not really inverter power. The inverter will usually trip or reset on its own if you try to pull too much power (watts/amps)

More then likely the AC fuse(s) should be a 15-20 amp AC fuse and the DC should be based on the DC battery wires which could be something as small as a 100amp DC fuse for 2 AWG or 250amps for a 2/0 AWG cabled (2000watt inverter). Plenty of fuse wire sizes charts on the net.

In my 4600 it "would" have been here... by the table or where maybe where the black/fresh water tanks are.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-12-29 08_58_52.png
Views:	8
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	6974
kenyu73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 08:05 PM   #7
Lt. JG

Hello Kenyu73, Thanks for the reply. Good info, Power: I have the fuses as you describe. The outlets are wired with 14 ga wiring. The elec panel has 2 15 amp switches for port and starboard outlets but the power for them appears to come from that 7.5 amp fuse and the inverter / battery only. I expected some outlets to run from shore power. My thoughts are I need to wire up another outlet for shore power only, to access 15/20 amp AC at the dock. (I know the A/C and battery charger are drawing heavy AC current at the dock with 15 amp breakers - I need access thru an outlet also.) Location: I have a very clear desc. in my manual of where the inverter should be (under the starboard setee cushions in the salon) but its not there. I took most of the setee out to run wires so its not hidden behind anything. The Trace Eng. remote panel is there on the wall and the wiring appears to run aft in the wall. It's working so I don't want to tear off any wall panels, but I want to adjust it. I did hear a fan start up that appeared to be under the lower helm so searching the mid cabin area is my next step. Thanks again for the info, Mike
Old 12-30-2021, 08:41 PM   #8
Lieutenant

If its wired correctly, the shore power should pass right through the inverter to the outlets with the rated amps of the outlet breaker (15amp if its 14awg). The wire from the shorepower breaker (30amp/10AWG) would run to main breaker box and you'd have a 10 or 12 AWG running to the the "Inverter On/Off" breaker switch. From there it would go to the outlet breakers via subbox perhaps.

You think its a custom install? The factory install wouldn't have a AC inline fuse nor should a custom install really. The only inline fuse (or thermo breaker) would be the battery DC side.

7.5 amp AC fuse just doesn't sound right (=

Good luck and keep us posted!
kenyu73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 01:24 PM   #9

I would start with the line side of the house battery and start tracing. If you get to a switch, start systematically branching out from there. You really need to understand both the AC and DC sides of your electric. This is the best way to start on the DC side.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
120v outlets, inverter