Old 07-19-2016, 01:12 PM   #1
Stl
Lt. JG

Default Inverter Add

I would like to add an power inverter to the boat. I have 4100SCR with a generator, but it would be nice to have power for smaller things like TVs, Cell chargers, stuff like that. I see it was an option to add, but I don't have it.I would not mind wiring one into the boat. Any input would be appreciated.

Stl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:33 PM   #2

I'm a fan of Xantrex, though ProMariner is also very good. You'll need to determine the expected average draw and go from there. You may also want to consider the size of your battery bank to determine amount of usage and the frequency and length of running the generator to recharge.

Defender.com Search Results: Inverters

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:04 PM   #3
Stl
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
I'm a fan of Xantrex, though ProMariner is also very good. You'll need to determine the expected average draw and go from there. You may also want to consider the size of your battery bank to determine amount of usage and the frequency and length of running the generator to recharge.

Defender.com Search Results: Inverters
I am more curious about how its wired into the boat :-)
Old 07-20-2016, 01:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl View Post
I am more curious about how its wired into the boat :-)
Apologies, you did say ANY input.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:13 PM   #5
Stl
Lt. JG

Quote:
Apologies, you did say ANY input.
No blood no foul, lol

I appreciate your input and hope my reply was not worded in a way that would discourage you. :-)
Old 07-20-2016, 04:14 PM   #6
Admiral

I feel that you will be better severed in your answer by going to one or both of shrews recommendations sites as they will have details available.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:47 PM   #7

Quote:
No blood no foul, lol

I appreciate your input and hope my reply was not worded in a way that would discourage you. :-)
LOL, no worries. I don't discourage easily. It wasn't taken for other than face value. In the real world I make a living trying to read between the lines of somewhat vague problem statements. You gotta try to guess based on what is provided. Sometimes you hit it out of the park, sometimes you strike out.

Stuff happens.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:48 PM   #8
TJK
Lt. JG

I do have the inverter option, but I don't recall I have any specific wiring diagram for that in the manual. I have several switches on the electrical panel painted white, and they can be run by the inverter. I also have an extra 8D battery totally dedicated for the inverter.
TJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:05 PM   #9
TJK
Lt. JG

Here is the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0070.jpg  
Old 08-05-2016, 08:54 AM   #10
Lt. Commander

I had the same issue with my boat, I wanted to run satellite, tv and wifi etc without shore power or generator.

My solution was to add an inverter, I used a dedicated pure sine wave inverter to power the tv(LED) and the satellite reciever, I then added in a couple of voltage regulators to power my 3/4g wifi router, and a couple of LAN switches etc in the the boats networking. Whilst these ran off 12v and I didn't want to blow them if I started the engines and got 14.4v.

The downside is these now run off the 12v system ALL the time but in real terms draw so little current its not a concern.

Feel free to drop me a line if you want more details.
iantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:06 PM   #11
Stl
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJK View Post
Here is the pic.
Thanks for the information. its a great idea to use a different colored switch. I like that a lot.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:12 PM   #12
Stl
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by iantan View Post
I had the same issue with my boat, I wanted to run satellite, tv and wifi etc without shore power or generator.

My solution was to add an inverter, I used a dedicated pure sine wave inverter to power the tv(LED) and the satellite reciever, I then added in a couple of voltage regulators to power my 3/4g wifi router, and a couple of LAN switches etc in the the boats networking. Whilst these ran off 12v and I didn't want to blow them if I started the engines and got 14.4v.

The downside is these now run off the 12v system ALL the time but in real terms draw so little current its not a concern.

I am interested to know what size inverter you use along with how you turn it on and off, did you add battery power to the existing system? Did you rewire the outlets to only run off inverter or do you transfer power?
Thanks for the reply.
Jay
Old 08-08-2016, 02:27 PM   #13
TJK
Lt. JG

Quote:
Thanks for the information. its a great idea to use a different colored switch. I like that a lot.
You are welcome. Just to clarify that the switches aren't "painted" white. I didn't "paint" them. They are white switches. Came from the factory that way.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:41 PM   #14
Lt. Commander

I made mine very simple, I fitted a 170w inverter, remember we're 240v so loads etc will be different if you're using 110v.

I was fortunate and had a 12v feed on a thick cable behind the TV, I did measure it and check its load capability, my notes are down at the boat so i can't remember the actual size.

If you haven't got a feed then either take a direct feed from the battery or 12v panel ensuring it's sufficient for the load. If direct from the battery do put an inline fuse in place.

Anyway, once you have a 12v source behind the TV, I connected in the 12 v inverter and the voltage regulators. My inverter has two connections to allow a switch to be fitted. I fitted a switch to the front of my tv panel next to my satellite and tv antenna controls.This allows me to switch the TV and satellite receiver off and on.

The 12v regulators are on constantly until I switch off power on leaving the boat. They are very low power and just feed the router and LAN switch

My TV uses 145 watts so I connected a two way extension cable to the inverter which runs the TV and satellite receiver.

The net result is my TV, 3/4G router, satellite receiver, Lan switches and satellite dish all run off 12v.

As I said in my last post I set it up this way, easy option, but it does mean all the equipment now run off 12v and there is no option to switch it back to 240v shore power.

If you wanted to do this you would need an inverter with 12v fall back, i.e connected to both 12v and 240v but with such small loads there hasn't been any issue to date. The alternative would be double pole switches but thats getting too complicated for a simple set up.

I have had the TV on whilst on a mooring bouy with no adverse effects on the battery.

If you don't have the routers and computer network you could use the voltage regulators to power your ipads / phones etc.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by iantan View Post

Please don't solicit discussions offline. This goes against the nature of a forum. There may be other people now or in the future which might benefit from this discussion.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:05 PM   #16
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Please don't solicit discussions offline. This goes against the nature of a forum. There may be other people now or in the future which might benefit from this discussion.
It's a figure of speech, Stl, replied asking for information and I replied on the forum. I do sometimes get asked by pm but I do post on the forum for everybody's benefit. Apart from yourself I must be one of the most prolific poster regarding answers on the 4600
Old 08-12-2016, 02:24 AM   #17
TJK
Lt. JG

I looked at the manual and noticed that the wiring diagrams actually contain the wirings for the inverter. It's basic but that might help you find how it is set up.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:38 AM   #18
Stl
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJK View Post
I looked at the manual and noticed that the wiring diagrams actually contain the wirings for the inverter. It's basic but that might help you find how it is set up.
I'll look up the wiring. Thanks
Old 08-12-2016, 02:15 PM   #19
Lieutenant

I know this is off point and I apologize. Can someone tell me where the new thread post button is as I can't find it and am trying to post a new thread. Thank you.
jayesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:05 PM   #20
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayesq View Post
I know this is off point and I apologize. Can someone tell me where the new thread post button is as I can't find it and am trying to post a new thread. Thank you.
if you go to the forum list page,i.e.Sport Yachts - Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum

there should be a new post button at the top left hand side