Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Yachts
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-31-2014, 12:05 AM   #1
Ensign

Default HELP! NEED ADVICE! 1996 Maxum 3200 SCR with 5.7L and Bravo II

I am looking at upgrading a cruiser….was dead set on a 1998 Sundancer 330 with 5.7L EFI and V-Drives for $54k and then I looked at a 1996 Maxum 320 SCR with 5.7L Bravo II for $30k. The few things that scare me about the Maxum is that it will be underpowered and harder to steer (5.7 carbs vs 5.7 EFI), the handling Bravo II vs V-Drives (I have a Bravo III and know NOTHING about Bravo II), there is no generator on the Maxum, that doesn't bother me a ton. Both are VERY clean and I like the cabin layout of the Maxum better. I am also concerned about the quality of Sea Ray vs Maxum…..I know Maxum uses a lot of plastic and stuff can fade. Please help with any advice!!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!

SkiPharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:51 AM   #2
Admiral

Welcome to the website. Consider your purchase is like deciding on a chevy or a buick. Maxum is a very solid boat and well worth the money but for $24,000 more you get a Sea Ray. That is alot of bling! A genny is nice to have but one thing to maintain.

I have twin 5.0L with carbs and bravo ll drives and no problems. The bravo ll's have the same grip as your lll's and they are one tuff drive but again something to maintain compared to the v-drives for the winter.

As far as the quality issue I will put maxum along side any boat we have great time with our 01 3000 scr

The sea rays and bayliners are now made side to side in a factory in southern florida.

Sea rays owners hate this !

Well whatever you decide good luck and let us know what happens.

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:16 AM   #3
Ensign

Thanks for the advice….I think we will put an offer on it, its listed at $30k…its nearing the end of the season and owner has a second boat on the way..I was thinking of offering $24k and going from there. Thanks for the advice! any more is always appreciated!
Old 07-31-2014, 02:36 AM   #4
Admiral

I would prefer the EFI over carbs but carbs are not a reason to walk away use all likes and dislikes to decide.

The inboards with v drives are typically less trouble but make for a tighter engine compartment. The BIIs are great drives and are the least trouble of all drives.
The pivot point with the v drives will give a tighter turn radius as they turn around the prop location and the out drivers are further back. This is just a learn how the boat behaves and you will be fine.

With the $20K delta you will be able to make upgrades to the Maxum to meet your likes and still leave money in your pocket.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:51 AM   #5
Ensign

Thats what I am thinking…….I could put an extended swim platform, sweet stereo system, LED lights and redo all the interior for $10k and have a great boat. I really like how you can sit 4 people at the dinette….
Old 07-31-2014, 02:54 AM   #6
Admiral

Let us know if you get her and any questions that come up. Several folks here have the same boat.

Mike
Old 07-31-2014, 02:59 AM   #7
Ensign

What would be a good starting offer? its nearing end of the season and he has another bigger boat he just bought…...
Old 07-31-2014, 03:07 AM   #8
Admiral

Check yachtworld to get a price range. Then discount since he is a two boat owner with two winterization bills headed his way.

Mike
Old 07-31-2014, 03:14 AM   #9
Admiral

Hire a good Surveyor!
Old 07-31-2014, 03:49 PM   #10
Ensign

How do you think this boat handles around the docks? Compared to a boat with V drives
Old 07-31-2014, 04:23 PM   #11
Admiral

The sea ray will turn in a tighter radius than the maxum due to location of propellers. Tons of folks have twin I/Os and have learned how to dock them. Either way it is a learning experience going to a larger boat.

Mike
Old 07-31-2014, 06:13 PM   #12
Admiral

I like to compare the bravo ll twin drives like driving a tank with treads. You learn when docking to straighten the wheel then don't touch it, use the throttle handles to turn. You might have the port in forward and the starboard in reverse to dock. A light touch is all that is needed.I love them.

Now I have never driven v-drives but what I understand same thing for handling little tighter turning radius.

Whatever you choose far easier than the old single drive once you master it.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:50 PM   #13
Ensign

This is the boat we put an offer on and its all contingent on inspection/survey...new canvas ($5,500), new fridge yesterday ($1500) and VERY clean, new snap in carpet, great looking gel coat....I got it for $29,000...thoughts?
Old 08-01-2014, 12:24 AM   #14
Admiral

Well ....I hope the survey goes good for you. That is a good price......make sure you give the boots on the drives and impellers an inspection or find out when then have been looked at.

Good Luck and we will expect pictures soon!! :-)
Old 08-01-2014, 01:03 AM   #15
Admiral

Great price, hope the survey goes well.

BTY how many hours are on the engines?

Mike
Old 08-01-2014, 03:27 AM   #16
Ensign

There are no hour meters on the engines...thought this was a little strange, my mechanic who is as good as u can get is gonna check everything out
Old 08-11-2014, 01:28 AM   #17
Commander

As an owner of a 1995 3200 SCR with carb'd twin 5.7L Mercs and Bravo II, here is some info:
-) With about 1/3 tank fuel, full water tank, 2 adults, 3 kids, and provision for 2-3 days, at 3,800 rpm on a good day it will do about 28mph
-) I like carbs, easy to fine tune.
-) I *hear* v-drives maneuver better, but I do fine with the twin I/Os. I never had v-drives so can't compare. As long as shifters/drives are in good shape it does well, maneuvering hasn't been an issue for me. I've managed to get into some pretty tight slips, around boats, under some crazy cross winds and currents.
-) My opinion, the Maxum rides higher in the water than SeaRays, so it lists a bit more under cross winds and high waves.
-) I've had it since 2011, its been challenging getting some of the original parts if you need them.
Good luck, its a really good boat.
jamanati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:46 AM   #18
Lieutenant

My '96 3200 SCR w/ B2s pivots and jumps on plane just fine. If you lose an engine, you can still maneuver.

Bravo IIs are great drives. Big drives with big props. I believe you can covert the lower units to Bravo IIIs if you want.

If equipped, replace the plastic power steering pulleys (one of mine blew up).

Make sure the 3 bellows on each drive are good. The hockey puck shaped trim sensors and limit switches should also be checked.

Be sure to grease the engine couplers and gimbal bearings.

Replace the raw water Bravo pump impellers (and maybe the housings).

Throttle, shifter and steering cables should be checked.

The HAVC system on mine eventually blew out the board. We replaced it with a quieter unit with a rotary compressor.

Still have not done the extended swim platform, but we did install a couple of large pop-up cleats above the tiny swim platform that makes it a LOT easier to raft up and dock.

We got a lot of little parts like latches from Great Lakes Skipper (aka Kendor)

There is tons storage on that boat! I'm pretty sure you will not find all the hidden compartments.

I REALLY love how our boat handles Lake Michigan. We have friends with a 32' inboard Sea Ray that decline to go out while find it's just a bit bumpy.

The boat does list a bit to the Port side due to 3 large batteries and the galley.

Installing or replacing a waste holding tank vent filter is a priority.

Really wish I had F.I. for fuel economy and easier starting. Electric chokes can be a PITA.
AlwaysSober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:34 PM   #19
Ensign

I have a 3300 SCR and love it. I have driven a 31' Sea Ray and the plus is the individual shifters. the outdrives have single shifter per motor where the v-drive will allow you to leave the throttle alone and just work the shifters which gives you better control when pulling into slips etc. I almost purchased the SeaRay myself but liked the cost savings with the Maxum. Depending on what type of boating you do could be a factor as the SeaRay will cut the water better as it is a heavier boat. Good luck!
Capt.Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:12 AM   #20
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerseagar View Post
Hire a good Surveyor!

my surveyor was kinda an ass! I liked it. Glad he was working for me. If you need a good surveyor on the east coast of Florida, let me know.

Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote