Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Yachts
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-29-2021, 10:38 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Fuel Transfer Mystery

Hi gang, new to my 4100 SCA. I added fuel to the starboard tank figuring I could equalize the load with the port tank but I can't find a way to do that. I looked at the manual and did not see a pump near the starboard tank nor do I have the switch on the bridge. (The switch location is used to power the autopilot.)

I rooted around in the engine compartment and found an array of valves used to route fuel. Three valves for each engine; the top is a shut off, the middle determines which tank fuel is drawn from and the bottom determines where the returned fuel is sent. This panel is accessed in the utility room under the dinette.

Does anyone else have this setup? Any ideas on where to look for a pump or valve? Worst case - I simply go back to the fuel dock and add fuel to the port tank.

Thanks for the input!
Attached Thumbnails
Snip 1.jpg   Snip 2.jpg  

jlittle792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 01:24 PM   #2
Lieutenant

I have a similar set of valves on my 4600 SCB. Do not believe there is a transfer pump but I use the return valve to move fuel to the side I want to add fuel to. Takes a while but it works.

SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 04:32 PM   #3
Ensign

Thanks Steve. I presume the motor needs to be running to move the fuel?
jlittle792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 04:47 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Yep…. motor(s) needs to be running. It’s the overflow from the injection system that will allow you to move fuel from one side to the other. Quickest is to pull from one side with both motors and return to the other. I usually do it while underway but you can do it sitting at the dock as well.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 09:05 PM   #5
Lieutenant

Location: Live in Mandevill, LA - Boat in Pensacola & Perdido, FL

Right on with the motors, while running, transferring the fuel. Most of the fuel from the injector system is returned to the tank and not used by the injectors. My 41SCA has the same panel as shown ('99 SCA).

HOWEVER....on my fuel transfer panel the labeling on the panel is incorrect!! It does not match the actual plumbing of the fuel tank lines. It's been a LONG time since I tried to balance or add diesel from one motor to the other motor's tank, so I can't remember exactly where the error is. But pls first check the fuel plumbing to/from the stbd and port tanks to see if the labeling is correct. Just look and trace the fuel lines from the tanks and see where they connect to the panel's ball valves on the back side of the panel. You can then verify it's accuracy! Almost ran out of fuel on one engine before I discovered the problem.
Glenn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 05:15 PM   #6
Commander

Default I like your set up better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn111 View Post
My 41SCA has the same panel as shown ('99 SCA).
... and here I thought you and I have the same boat ... ok, it's only been about five years, but I don't believe I've ever seen this panel. Where aren't I looking? Only fuel valves I have are the shut offs (tank to engine) and the cross over that goes tank to tank. Transfer motor powered off switch on stbd lower panel at the helm, between the last acc pwr switch and the battery parallel switch. **NOTE, I believe this is an add on since the switch has dino-lablel identification. I have to admit, I've never used the system, but maybe I should try it out sometime. Would make refueling easier since I always pull up to my marina's fuel pier port side too. I could 'fill' stbd in the slip and then just fill port when I go to the pump.
PJHoffnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 07:31 PM   #7
Lieutenant

Location: Live in Mandevill, LA - Boat in Pensacola & Perdido, FL

Hi PJ, Trust everything is going well in FL. The panel in the photos is located under the "pull-up stairs" going from the salon to the galley. It's where the fwd-head vacuum pump is located and also the hot water heater & inverter controller. Not sure where you are referring to on the helm switches.

I'm not sure, but I believe all of my tank-to-engine and returns go through this panel first. Should be on the boat this Sunday....changing out radar controller and leaking reversing pump for the auto polit. UGH!!
Glenn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 07:20 PM   #8
Commander

Default My boat must have been built on a Monday :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn111 View Post
The panel in the photos is located under the "pull-up stairs" going from the salon to the galley.
I can 'see' how that would be a great place to put a transfer station, but alas, all my fuel hoses are inside the engine room. I put my inverter on that bulkhead (inboard of the water heater) with a battery bank feeding it directly under the stairs.

Florida continues to be Florida ... 78F and a bit windy today as we head off to the community Happy Hour.

PJHoffnet is offline   Reply With Quote