Old 05-25-2016, 07:07 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Question Fresh water plumbing

I have a year 2000, 3700 SCR. I am planning to replace the faucet for the sink in the head. I may need to replace one or both of the fittings on the hard plastic fresh water pipes coming from the water tank supply. This hard plastic tubing is clearish/opaque and seems to be larger in diameter than the Whale brand red and blue hard plastic tubing on my Bayliner which I previously owned. Is this tubing also a "quick connect" type of tubing? If so, is there a source for the quick connect connectors to fit this plastic tubing? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sailboattraitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:26 PM   #2
Ensign

It's my understanding the Whale style fittings and tubing are all 15mm. If your tubing is a bit larger it's most likely 5/8.Any decent plumbing supply store can supply what you need to connect the new faucet. Good luck!

Playpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 01:07 PM   #3

I would be surprised if the plumbing is 5/8. Most marine and RV plumbing is 1/2". It's my understanding that many boat builders are going to 15mm now. Seatec still makes fittings in both 15mm and 1/2". Be careful 15mm = .59" So they look like they'll fit. 15mm fittings on 1/2" tube will leak (spray) water very badly.

It's hard to find the old compression fittings. All the fittings are quick connect now. Make sure to get the locking circlips, which are annoyingly sold separately. If you have older compression fittings, plan on having to cut back the old tube where the old compression fitting mushroomed the end of the tube. Otherwise it's very difficult to get into the new fitting and, even if you do get it in there the deformation has a tendency to leak. You may even need to cut back quite a few inches and insert a F-F inline connector and a new shorter run of tube to the fixture. (I hate those old compression fittings).
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote