Old 05-10-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Dash question

1998 3700 SCR Does anyone know what the little battery switch on the dash does when you press it. To give anyone a little more data. Under the sink on the back deck I have two (2) selecter switches. both have only two (2) positions on and off. One is marked starboard and one port battery and that little press switch on the dash. I have three (3) batteries with one dedicated to the gen set. This is my fifth boat and by far the biggest and best and I really don't want to mess it up.

Update Went to the Maxum Boat site and down loaded date . That switch temp establishes a connection for both batterys to start the boat. (Only in a emergency)

William Ferrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:55 PM   #2
Lt. JG

Hi William,
I have a 1999 3700SCR. That battery switch on the dash is a momentary switch that operates a soleniod mounted on the aft port side wall in the engine compartment. When activated the soleniod connects the starboard side batteries (house batteries) to your portside Battery (Starter battery). The Starboard side engine is wired to start off the house batteries. Should they go dead then the starboard motor will not turn over. Push the battery switch on the dash then the starter battery on the port side is connected in line and will turn the starboard motor. If you find it does not work then the solenoide most likely has failed. The port side battery starts the port side motor and the generator. The generator when running has a 12volt charging system that recharges the starter battery while it runs. This is above and beyond your 110V battery charger.
DeanH is offline   Reply With Quote