Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Yachts
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-21-2020, 12:41 PM   #1
Commander

Default Cockpit icemaker/refrigerator replacement

Has anyone replaced the cockpit icemaker with a refrigerator (no freezer) in a 95 3200SCR or similar boat?

Mine has the original U-line BI95 and am looking for ideas to replace with just a refrigerator, and hopefully with one that is only a couple hundred dollars. These U-Line icemakers are well over $1000, which is just a ridiculous amount of money to pay for making ice, which isn't really needed here in the Northeast part of the US.

For those who have replaced it, if you can provide make/model that would be helpful. And also if you had to widen the hole, and how did you secure it.

Thanks!

jamanati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:07 AM   #2
Lt. JG

I am in same exact situation. Agree on NE icemaker makes no sense. I have a 3700DVD and removed the icemaker. Actually put it out on the dock!
Problem is that the space is small. I have found a few that will fit, but very small. Will let you know what happens.

Dhalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:36 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Any update on this one? Curious what you decided to do. I recently fixed my u-line ... it needed a starting cap on the refrigeration motor and a new ice maker unit inside. The starting cap was disintegrated at the terminals. I found a close spec replacement, slightly larger than OEM (12uF 180V +/- 5% 50/60 Hz, $7.50 on eBay).

I bought a new internal ice maker mechanism on Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Price has gone up quite a bit, I paid $239, currently over $300. All in, for under $250 and about an hour in labor, I was able to rehab the U-line. It's been working well since I finally got the boat in this year. I was able to blend up some frozen concoctions at the dock this past weekend, much to the delight of my wife and her cousin!
Old 09-08-2020, 10:21 PM   #4
Lt. JG

I have not made any progress on the refrigerator front. I did take the icemaker out and put it on the dock. I don't like relaxing the water on when I am not there and nice gonna be ice when do show up.
Looking at an Isotherm unit. Will advise.
Dhalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:22 AM   #5
Commander

I haven't done anything yet either. The season is almost over here in New York, so will leave it for next year. I'm more interested in a refrigerator to be there instead of the icemaker though.
jamanati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:25 PM   #6
Ensign

mine is also busted, but I'm not sure I want a fridge since it gets super hot on deck during the week when my canvas is on. Afraid the fridge will have to work too hard and burn out. Maybe just a storage locker instead.
snatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:19 PM   #7
Ensign

We retrofitted our 2003 Maxum 3700 SY U-line icemaker with a NovaKool refrigerator. We bought the AC/DC and then found after pulling the icemaker out that there wasn't a wire for the DC...but we still need to investigate that further as there are many "accessory" switches that are a mystery as to where the wires go. Husband custom cut an HDPE frame to mount the fridge in. We are loving it, much better use of space. Here's the fridge we bought - https://www.campervan-hq.com/product...igerator-ac-dc. Yes, it is pricey - but they make them on order, is not a stocked item.
TheForager3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:34 PM   #8

Any fridge that will fit the rough cut out and the depth, will work. If you wanted to replace the ice maker with a fridge, the first questions I would ask myself is..

What are the dimensions of the rough cutout now?

What is the min. depth of the space?

This is absolutely what Accessory breaker slots and fuse holders are for. Run a circuit from an accessory slot on the 12VDC side and you're done.

Make sure to size the wiring for both the amp draw AND the entire length of the circuit
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 03:54 PM   #9
Lieutenant

Location: Live in Mandevill, LA - Boat in Pensacola & Perdido, FL

Just replaced a Uline ice maker on a 41SCA (3 rd one). Have a distributor in Houston TX that sells for under $ 1k.
Glenn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:08 PM   #10
Ensign

Default Icemaker replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhalter View Post
I am in same exact situation. Agree on NE icemaker makes no sense. I have a 3700DVD and removed the icemaker. Actually put it out on the dock!
Problem is that the space is small. I have found a few that will fit, but very small. Will let you know what happens.
It is as if I posted your message for myself. My 2007, 3700SY unit met exactly the same fate as yours...even ending on the dock. As you said , the space is small and the depth is only roughly 15 inches. I never found a refrigerator unit that would fit. I have started thinking I would get a door made and install shelves for storage. Did you have any better luck?
jimbo323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 02:38 AM   #11
Lt. JG

Default 3300 icemaker replacement (even with something else!

Hi all - slightly older thread, but maybe some of you are still around. I have a 2001 3300 SCR with a cockpit icemaker. I actually haven't even turned it on yet...I'm still figuring out my systems.

I assume the water pump must be turned on for it to work. I only do that when I'm there and going out, but it must take a few hours to produce ice (and the bin isn't too big) - so what's the point? Meanwhile, I always have an RTic cooler on deck full of ice. And I'm running hose water (not potable) in my freshwater tank, so this ice couldn't be used for drinks anyway.

I'm not on the boat enough to warrant a mini-fridge. In truth, the icemaker space would be great for a cockpit/deck trash can.

Anyone converted that space to something else? Ideas?
denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 02:25 PM   #12
Lt. Commander

That runs on 110 only so you need to be either on shore power or have the generator going if so equipped. I still have mine, it fills the bin over night, but I use it on shore water and shore power (no generator on mine) through a drinking water approved hose so it's useable in cocktails or just to throw in the cooler. I flush the water through the bar sink for a while and throw the first few batches in the cooler each time I start it up (we are only at the boat every few weeks it seems this year).'

As to your original question I think it would be pretty easy to make a hatch or door out of starboard to turn that into a cabinet for a garbage can. Boat outfitters ($$$$ but really nice stuff) even has some options for pre-fab cabinets.
Old 08-09-2021, 02:28 PM   #13
Lt. Commander

check this out ... spendy though ... https://www.boatoutfitters.com/pull-...-drawer-single
Old 08-09-2021, 02:32 PM   #14
Ensign

Default Ice Maker Replacement

I had the common problem with the cockpit icemaker. I finally found a replacement fridge (no freezer) that was made to fit the original Maxum ice maker space. (15" depth) I got it from an old thread and found it was made for this specific use. It is a Nova Kool R 1200 product and I believe it is still available. It proved to be a much better use of the space for me.
This thread is located at:
https://www.maxumownersclub.com/foru...-new-post.html

Instillation was easy but trim work was a bit of a problem. Got help with that.
Good luck!
Old 08-09-2021, 03:06 PM   #15
Ensign

Nova Kool R 1200 is 110/12v. Wiring is simple.
Old 08-18-2021, 08:10 PM   #16
Ensign

We were not using the ice maker in our 3300, so I removed it (its actually setup up at home in the garage and still works great) and replaced it with a custom built subwoofer enclosure for a 12" sub - this seemed like a much better option than making a huge hole in the fiberglass elsewhere, or taking up good cooler space under the port side rear seat like the previous owners. It works really well in that space - and if we sell the boat, it can be returned to the original ice maker configuration in about a half hour. I will post a photo next time I am on the boat.

Third Time is offline   Reply With Quote