Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Yachts
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-17-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
Commander

Default Cabin fresh water pump replacement.

Have a 95 3200 SCR, my cabin fresh water pump is starting to go, doesn't provide enough pressure, has a hard time self priming, etc. Anyone replace one of these and if so, would appreciate it if anyone has any part numbers or online sellers. Any tips/tricks to getting the thing out of the small access cabinet in the aft cabin? Oh why oh why don't they put these things in the bilge I will never understand.

jamanati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:29 AM   #2

Arg, mine is in the engine compartment and easily accessed, but you didn't really want to hear that. LOL. Take a look at the specs on the existing pump. Then go down to any chandlery and get a replacement. As long as the input and output fittings are the same, it's a 12V pump Pressure Pump (meaning it has an internal pressure switch) and runs at relatively the same PSI and volume, then you should be fine. Jabsco and Shurflo are probably the most common. I suspect it's probably a Jabsco or a Shurflo you have in there now. Can't help on the removal tips/tricks though. Sorry.

Take a look at these:

http://www.defender.com/fresh-water-pumps.jsp

Notice it lists the Flow Rate in GPM (Galons Per Minute), the Water PRessure in PSI, and the Outlet size. You should be able to pull these specs off of the existing pump and simply find a suitable replacement. Whether you chosse JAbsco or Shurflo is completely up to you. It might make it a bit easier to find a direct replacement IF the screw pattern in the feet are the same size.

Make sure to install, or upgrade the rubber shock absorbers under the pump to reduce pump noise in the boat. While you at it, check the condition of the 12v connectors. If there is any corrosion replace those while you're in there.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Location: Liberty Lake, WA... moored on Beautiful Coeur D' Alene Lake, ID

I'll put my plug in for the Jabsco folks... after owning mine for 3 years they replaced it when it puked (that's a technical, boating term for those of you new to this forum!) Seriously, it was ORIGINALLY installed to replace the factory one on my 2001 model year 2900 SCR... IT died (another one of those technical terms) when a kid accidentally put GASOLINE in my fresh water tank up at Hill's Resort on Priest Lake our first season out on Endless Summer (2007)---that's another story!

Anyway, they replaced it about 4 months out of warranty last Spring, and since this wasn't the first time I replaced it, I chose to mount it somewhere I could gain access to it more easily. So I just bent the plastic pipes feeding it and coming FROM it to a more convenient spot. I chose to mount it to a piece of plywood, then mounted the plywood (about 16" x 12") on top of the black water holding tank. BEFORE it was mounted on top of the fresh water tank, which gave me about 5" of space between the top of it and the inside of the gunwale wall. Torque-ing my body to gain access to that was not fun, so I repositioned it to my liking and now when it starts humming I can simply open the starboard-side engine compartment if I want to and see water circulating through the filter---very easy to check for leaks, etc...

I have no suggestions to gaining access to it, other than when you do... reposition the SOB (another technical term).
Old 10-18-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
Admiral

jeff
you should really learn to become more technical......

but I fully understand it when a pump pukes....been there done that got a few tee shirts..

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
Ensign

had same problem on my 3300.
Bit cramped working thru the bottom of the small cabinet opening .Need to remove the two piping connections ( plastic connectors ) undo the wood mounting screws and pull up to opening. If you are going to remove it the electric feed wires need to be disconnected.
It's about half hour max.
By the way, if you can see what type of pump you have without removing it ( probably a Jabsco) they sell rebuild kits at a fraction of the cost of a new pump.
These are diaphragm pumps and it's usually just the "rubber" that goes.
Quick and very simple change out. Still need to pull pump out but if you are prepared with kit it's an hour job all around.
fredi is offline   Reply With Quote