Old 08-27-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
Commander

Default Both trim switches not working.

Pulled out my 1995 3200 scr yesterday to put on land for hurricane Irene and dry dock it. Neither of the 2 trim switches on the shifter worked, no click, no sound, nothing. The marina guys putting my boat on blocks got in the engine room and jumped the drive motors and they both raised without an issue, so its not a drive motor issue. We did this to keep the boat nice and low to the ground in case of high winds. So, there must be a fuse/breaker some place since the drives work but theres no power to them. Anyone know where the fuse/breaker may be located? It has a pair of mercruiser 5.7L with bravo II. Thanks.

jamanati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
Commander

I am pretty sure those are fired by a solenoid and not a fuse.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...%28Complete%29

I would check to make sure you are getting 12V on the solenoid trigger wire. I know the trim switch could be affected by a faulty trim limit switch (1 switch is for limit and the other is for trim guage), but the Trailer button should work regardless.
So with the solenoid, it is just like a starter solenoid. Should have 12V at 1 of the battery feeds. Then 12V on the trigger wire when you push the Trailer button. That closes the solenoid and allows 12V to pass through to the other large post which feeds the hydraulic pump.

mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:27 PM   #3
Commander

Something is definitely up. Neither my trim switches nor the trailer switches were working. Will start scratching my head after the hurricane is over.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
Commander

Still working on this, not sure what it is. Both trims are effected.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Since you have twins I'd think the trim and trailer switches would be on separate circuits, one for the port side, the other for starboard. Seems unlikely that both would go out at the same time.

I'd start off by tracing the positive and negative 12V leads from each trim motor to see where they go. I know on my boat both the + and - go directly to the starting battery - they do not go thru the battery switch, therefore the trim works even if the switch is "Off". Perhaps yours are wired differently.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:22 AM   #6
Commander

I checked the fuse panel under the steering wheel, all fuses looked okay. I will need to get into the bilge and figure this out. Yes, since they are twins, its odd that both are out. They don't even click, no power/sound is heard.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:09 AM   #7
Admiral

probably the solenoids...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:04 AM   #8
Lt. JG

I had this problem last month with my 2001 3300 scr
At the trim motor there are two inline fuses if either is blown or the socket is coroded they both wont work.
Check the fuses and clean up the sockets
queenendorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:55 AM   #9
Commander

Its been one thing after another with this boat, I still haven't gotten in the bilge to check this. Thanks for the tip, will check both inline fuses as well.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:09 AM   #10
Commander

Finally got to this today. Even though this is a twin engine, looks like there is only one hot wire that runs up to the remote control at the helm. The pumps, fuses, and solenoids all checked out fine. I pulled off the harness on each pump and jumped them, trim motors worked fine. Turns out that under the dash, where the remote control harness meets the wires from the trim pumps, the single red wire had a faulty connection. A quick jiggle and I had power back to my switches and the trim pumps worked. I cut out the bad connector and replaced it. I'm still curious thought, there are 3 wires coming from each pump, so there should be six wires at the control, there are only 5. I tried to trace where in the bilge the two hot wires meet, I think its under the battery case for the generator. Oh well, it was a easy fix, and will be out on the water this weekend. Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:06 AM   #11
Admiral

cool...thanks for reporting back on your fix.....glad it was an easy fix...

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote