Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Yachts
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-05-2011, 01:12 AM   #1
Commander

Default Air compressor to winterize water tank and lines?

Have a 95 3200 SCR, first time winterizing this boat this year. Any one use an air compressor connected to the water inlet on the transom to blow out the water lines? I don't think it would clear out water in the tank, so I guess that has to be drained. Last boat I had didn't have dockside water, so it was drain the water tank, put some pink in the tank, turn on the pump and let the faucets all run until pink. Just not sure how the water lines run in this boat. And if the hose inlet is connect to the water tank in any way, or is it only connected from the water fill neck on the starboard side?

jamanati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:20 AM   #2
Admiral

the dock water is not attached to the tank....so..the best thing to do is if you don't mind the pink stuff...put about 5 gals in the tank...and run it thru the lines.....or...pump the water completely dry out of the tank...then open the pump up and let the water drain out of it...then drain the water heater tank...from there it's easy to do the engines and drives....the engines would be either to drain out the water from the plugs...and fill the engine up with pink stuff .....so....then your done....there is a kit you can get that includes a tank to put the pink stuff into..run the engine on muffs and then switch it over to the pink stuff....then shut the engine off when the pink stuff comes out the drive...

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:51 PM   #3

The air compressor does not take into account the winterization of the tank or the presure water pump. Empty the water tank completely. Then turn off the circuit to the hot water heater. Drain the hot water heater. (Make sure to open the pressure valve at the top of the tank as well as the drain valve at the bottom. Then fill the tank with several gallons of pink propylene glycol Antifreeze. It will fill the hot water tank. When the pumps stops the hot water tank is full. Now open each of the taps until it flows solid pink. Make sure to open teh hot and cold taps on each faucet until each flows pure pink. If you have a transom shower, make sure to run both sides of that as well. Now the water tank, pressure water pump, hot water tank, all lines and faucets, and the sinkt traps and drains are properly winteriezed. You can get a hot water bypass kit to reduce teh amoutn of propylene glycol you need, however you still need to completely drain teh hot water tank first. I still like to make sure teh hot water tank is flushed with a little of the pink AF. Even if you only pump a 1/2 gallon in first, then shut off the water pump, then actuate the hot water bypass, drain the AF from the hot water tank, and resume winterizing the system.

Don't forget to pour some of the pink propylene glycol down the drain in the head and run the shower sump to winterize the shower sump pump and lines there as well as all the deck drains.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:43 AM   #4
Lieutenant

Your getting some really good advise. Here is how I do it. I drain down the water tank and hot water tank and close the hot water tank back up then I attach the compresser to the dock side intake and blow down the entire system to include the hot water tank. I then add 8 gals of the pink stuff to the fresh water tank and fill everything up and open all the sinks and shower till they run pink. Please do not forget to turn the ice maker on and run it till the ice is pink and in the shower run the pink stuff down the drain till the sump pump discharge is pink and flush the toliet till it is pink also. I run one gal through the AC sump pumps then I blow it all out again and open the hot water heater and put a gal of the stuff in the waste holding tank then do the ac units and gen. I do the engines and open all sea intakes after I am pulled for the winter
William Ferrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #5

MMMMM Good Point!!! I don't have an ice maker or a vacuflush toilet so I overlooked those systems. I flush the AC with the proylene glycol as well, though I forgot to mention that one too.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:56 AM   #6
Commander

Thanks everyone, a lot of good info!
Old 10-17-2011, 10:21 PM   #7
Commander

WF, did exactly that. Opened all faucets and turned on the pump until they almost ran dry. Drained the hot water tank. Then I bought one of these : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XL2IEA and hooked it up to the dockside water and my compressor at about 40-45 psi. Then around the boat I went, including the hot water tank. Boy does a lot of water come out of all the faucets even after the pump ran it dry. Did this a couple of times until I was just about getting only air. Then 6 gals of pink stuff in the water tank, and pump on until it all runs pink.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
Ensign

Funny thing,,, how no matter where you live,,, we all call it "pink stuff".......and we know what we mean ! lol
big old stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #9
Captain

I use the air compressor with no Pink Stuff....... the pink stuff oder, stinks up... the drinking water all summer long.

1. run fresh water tank until empty.
2. unscrew fresh water pump clear filter on the side of the pump and that drains the pump.
3. I shoot air from that same clear air pump filter.
4. I have two drain downs on the cross pipes across the engine compartment, shoot air from there. I leave the caps off all winter.
5. The water heater has a drain down plastic valve, on the side next to your batteries, so open that up and leave it open until spring.
6. That will do all your sinks and toilets, and stern water down faucets.

PVC is more forgiving than copper pipes in your house.

Pink stuff must use.....

1. A/C raw water pickup, because the a/c pump is not to good at priming, so easier to fill it with the pink.
2. Shower sump pump, is in a box, and not worth opening up to drain completely, just pour the pink down the shower drain until you hear the pump run.

Again, your not drinking or smelling this water.

Water drains to daylight..... except in a boat, it will collect in the lowest point, and your water lines are design to drain as such.

pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote