Old 04-27-2012, 02:42 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Aftermarket generator

Does anyone have an aftermarket gen., if so, brand/make, did u install yourself?

Capt348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:45 AM   #2
Lt. JG

Left out - its going in a95 3200scr just looking for something run fridge and fan on those long hot days on the water.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #3

All Generators are 'after market' so to speak. The boat manufacturers don't make the genertor, rather they are manufactured by a 3rd party adn not OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer). An onboard genny can be installed post-production. Are you looking for an onboard genny, or simply a portable genny? Onboard will cost some cash for both the unit and installation. Kohler, Westerbeke, and Northern Lights are probably the most common onboard genny brands.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
Lt. JG

Looking for a genny that will run fridge primarily. It could b portable. Do u think that is an option? Have u seen or heard of this being done?
Old 04-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
Admiral

Some boaters buy a honda 2000ei for their use. A very quiet portable unit,it can be used on the boat and in the house. You can find them for around $900.00
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
Admiral

as stated...the installation of a genny into the boat's engine bay can be pretty daunting and expensive....so..most resort to portables strapped to the swimstep ...be sure you think about the exhaust flow around the stern so you don't get gassed out...the main thing is to make sure you have your CO monitors functional......

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:39 PM   #7

The fridge is dual power and will run on shore power/genny OR 12V directly from the battery. Admittedly, I'f I'm anchored, I turn my fridge down to around 2.5-3. Is there an underlying problem with the fridge on 12V? What is the goal you're trying to achieve??
Old 05-02-2012, 01:32 AM   #8
Lt. JG

No problem, just thinking about getting one for hot days.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #9

Yes, AC will require a Genny. I'm not sure about the area you live in. I find that when we get out an anchor the heat and hunidity drop significantly. About the only place I ever need the AC is in the marina.....where there is already ample shore power. I can probably count on one hand the number of times in the past five years that we've felt like we could have used AC while anchored out. However, I'm from New England. A floridian would probably not be able to make the same claim.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:48 PM   #10
Lt. Commander

I'm with you Shrew. Even in the Georgia heat, I never use the AC unless I'm overnighting at the Marina. When I'm on anchor in a cove, I leave all of the windows and doors open and I'm happy. Sometimes I use a little battery operated fan but thats it. I must say that a few cold beers seem to do the trick!
Cymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #11
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerseagar View Post
Some boaters buy a honda 2000ei for their use. A very quiet portable unit,it can be used on the boat and in the house. You can find them for around $900.00
I plan on buying on of these in the next couple of weeks. I think the Honda 2000ei is a very good one so I am going to buy exactly this particular one. My own generator broke about a month ago and the manufacturer said it was irreparable so I had to try out generator rentals for a while. In about two weeks or three I can afford a new one and then I will treat myself with the Honda. Does anyone know how long the delivery might take?

orrtan is offline   Reply With Quote