Old 07-17-2017, 02:57 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default AC unit for my 01 3500 SCR

It appears I'm going to have to replace my AC unit (Mermaid -not sure if its stock or was already replaced). Anyway, I was wondering what brand you all prefer and, for those with a 3500SCR, have you thought about relocating the AC unit to the cavity under the stairs (were the HVAC return is). I'm asking because some of the units like Webasto are not build to have a return duct (as the compressor and lines are in the way), and being that on the 3500 they shoved it in the bilge under the living room, I don't think I'd want to suck air directly from that location!

mirage2991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:19 PM   #2

Marine Air Systems. They are now owned by Dometic.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:45 PM   #3
Lt. JG

been looking at them along with webasto FCF and FCF platinum....seems a lot of them are puting something in front of the return air, so running it in the bilge as designe by maxum would not be possible since you can't connect the return duct....
Old 05-14-2018, 02:48 PM   #4
Ensign

I installed the marine air system and it works great. I went with the largest btu system and it fit with the return air vent and everything. I would probably go with the next size down if I had it to do again because the 18000 BTU is way more cooling/heating than i need. Happy to send pics!
BurceWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:12 PM   #5
Lt. JG

Thanks for the Reply Bruce, I ended up replacing it with a MarineAir 16k btu. Worked great, super quiet and cooled really well. Took a little while to replace as I'm very OCD with things, but, really simple install.
I no longer own the boat, but if I ever own another cruiser that size, I'd def buy from them again. Can't beat the price and I looked at the components and they were all good quality (good compressor motor etc).