Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Yachts
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default 99 scr3200 overheat

Good evening everyone,
Well I pulled my boat out this weekend and started to winterize the engines. I hooked up the cups to the starboard engine and like always it flushed fine. I went and hooked up the port engine and it states to
get hot and overheat. It doesn't seem to be pulling the water from the cups. Now I just had the boat out before pulling it and my engine temps stay at 150. My question is? Why am I having this problem outside of the water? Is the sea water pump getting weak and I don't have the volume I had in the water? All
help would be greatly appreciative. By the way I have twin 350 with bravo II

rjrcmr03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:52 PM   #2
Captain

Each engine has a raw water pump.

The pump is a plastic housing, and the impeller is made of rubber.

It your run the engine with no water flowing thru the pump it will melt the rubber impeller and the plastic housing.

In the water, the boat cubic weight displacement, will just about push water from the sea upto the raw water pump, making a worn out pump work.

If your not getting any hose water out your exhaust, then its shot... $80 for the kit for impeller and housing.

Not likley a clog or stuck thermostat.

pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:48 AM   #3
Lt. JG

Thanks for the quick reply. Finally someone who knows what they are talking about. Well I put a new impeller kit in today and the old one was definately breaking apart. I lubricated the impeller with soapy water but it still was not pulling water. I didnt run the engine long. The new pump definately has suction. So what I did was a little bit more investigating. I back washed the suction line just to make sure it was coming out the strainer and it was. What I noticed was a slight leak coming from the water hose before the strainer. It would make sense that it would'nt be pulling from the strainer outside the water because it would be sucking air further up. In water it would pulling from both the hose and strainer. How hard is it to replace that hose? Looks like I have to remove the stern drive. Is their any surprises that I need to know? Your professional opinion would be helpful. P.S I have been an auto technician for 25 years and have some mechanical abillity....lol
rjrcmr03 is offline   Reply With Quote