Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Yachts
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 96 3200 SCR Power Steering Issue or normal?

I am a new owner of a 96 3200 SCR. It seems like the power steering isn't working or isn't working as well as it should. With the motors ON or OFF it requires the same effort to turn the wheel. The boat has a power steering belt on only one of the motors, but after some searching I guess that is how they come. Power steering fluid level is OK in each reservoir. The boat was not in the water last season. Ive driven other boats (and obviously cars) and the steering requires little effort this boat is different.

Thanks for any Info.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
Admiral

welcome to the zoo...sounds like the pump or the rack and pinion isn't quite working properly..have a mechanic go thru it....doubt if there's air in the system since it's a self bleeding system...basically it's the same as in a car....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
Captain

i would belive you have weak pump or a binding transon pin.

can you crank the drives over by hand when the engine is off?

stick your head behind the engine with a flashlight and look for white salt or water trails dripping down the transom plate.

there are zurk grease fitting at could be dry, but that old of a boat i would guess the transom pins and bushing are shot.
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
Ensign

Thanks guys.

Would a weak pump make a noise like in a car?

Haven't tried to move the motors, the boat is in the water now.

Where are the grease fittings? Are transom pins and bushings a big job?
Old 06-18-2014, 12:47 PM   #5
Ensign

Default Steering issues with 1996 3200 SCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDA View Post
I am a new owner of a 96 3200 SCR. It seems like the power steering isn't working or isn't working as well as it should. With the motors ON or OFF it requires the same effort to turn the wheel. The boat has a power steering belt on only one of the motors, but after some searching I guess that is how they come. Power steering fluid level is OK in each reservoir. The boat was not in the water last season. Ive driven other boats (and obviously cars) and the steering requires little effort this boat is different.

Thanks for any Info.
Hi Everyone,
I am suffering from the same issues on my newly purchased 96 3200 SCR. The drives are moving when steering with engines off or on, however this is a two handed job too move the steering wheel. Power steering fluid is at proper levels. I see mentioned this is a rack and pinion steering not a rotary. Is this the actual fact of the steering? Can any one tell me how to access the steering mechanism to make sure it is rack and pinion and not rotary? I believe it is the cable that is my issue, and depending on the type of steering I am being told that the Helm will need to be replaced along with the 17' cable?

Thanks
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:57 PM   #6
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Tamara,

If you can look behind the helm - the section where the steering wheel is mounted, you'll be able to tell. A rack/pinion set up will have a metal, horizontal bar - about 12 or a bit more inches long, with a cable coming out of the end.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:20 PM   #7
Admiral

The boat has PS assist so you should be able to turn the wheel with the engine off the assist just help against sttering torque from the engines.

Does it take 2 hands to turn with the engines on? If the assist rack may be leaking or have bad internal seals

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:39 PM   #8

Admittedly, when the engine is off, the wheel has a lot of resistance. However, when the engine is running, and the PS working properly, you should be able to turn the wheel with one finger.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:33 PM   #9
Commander

I've been through this problem with my 95 3200 SCR, twin 5.7L bravo 2. Both engines have a power steering pump, but only the starboard side is in use (the other is just a spare). Here are the steps I went through
-) I moved the spare pump to the side in use - no change
-) I replaced the power steering actuator with one a mechanic let me try - no change
-) I replaced/flushed the old power steering fluid with new fluid - no change
-) I lubricated the power steering cable - no change
-) I disconnected the steering system from the drives and manually moved each drive back and forth. The port drive moves smoothly, the starboard has a little bit of sloppiness coming from the transom pin, but the drives move smoothly.
-) I replaced both the rack-pinion steering bar in the helm and the steering cable from helm to drives. - That did the trick.

jamanati is offline   Reply With Quote