Old 12-13-2020, 02:54 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 4100 sca courtesy lights

Greetings, I am working on my 98 SCA and am trying to figure out what switch is suppose to control the forward courtesy lights, the two up near the anchor and the two alot the port and starboard walkways from the aft cabin to the bow. There are three “courtesy” switches the middle one controls the ceiling lights in the aft cabin, the right one controls the lights on the stern swim platforn. The left does not seem to control anything. I have checked for power at these forward lights but nothing with all the switches turned on? Any help is appreciated the wiring diagram does not break out the separate circuits for forward vs aft lights..

Jimbeau23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 01:56 PM   #2

Is there power to the switch?

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 02:03 PM   #3
Ensign

Yes power to the switch, we ended up pulling the two lights along the sides of the boat out and they were not connected.. and even stranger there was no wiring to connect them to. I dont know if it was a mistake when the boat was built or maxum just elected not to wire these forward light in. Still begs the question what does the third courtesy switch control.. it has grey with blue stripe wiring just like the other courtesy light switches.. the issue now is it would require dismantling the forward cabin to wire up the lights near the anchor windless..
Old 12-14-2020, 06:17 PM   #4
Commander

On our 1999 4100 SCA the windlass lights and boarding lights (swim platform stairs and the two at the boarding gate breaks in the handrails) are controlled by switches on the lower port side helm switch panel.

We don't have docking lights, so like you, that left hand switch doesn't control anything.
PJHoffnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 06:22 PM   #5
Ensign

Yes the switch you have marked as windless is the one I was talking about.. there must be an issue somewhere. Thank you.. the two lights along the gunnel installed in the step down from the aft cabin doors are the ones that were not connected to anything, i think i can tie those into the aft lights on the swim platform and stairs. Thank you for the help that at least answered part of the problem!
Old 12-15-2020, 02:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbeau23 View Post
Yes power to the switch, we ended up pulling the two lights along the sides of the boat out and they were not connected.. and even stranger there was no wiring to connect them to. I dont know if it was a mistake when the boat was built or maxum just elected not to wire these forward light in. Still begs the question what does the third courtesy switch control.. it has grey with blue stripe wiring just like the other courtesy light switches.. the issue now is it would require dismantling the forward cabin to wire up the lights near the anchor windless..
If the mystery switch has both inbound line from the power source and an outbound line to the device then it must go somewhere. IF this is the case, then first and foremost, be careful that there isn't an open circuit somewhere.

It's always a mystery what some previous owner thought was a good idea. They might have wanted to disconnect those light from other lights, so disconnecting might have been what they thought was a good idea. Maybe the guy dropped the wire attempting to service or replace the lights.

If there is an outbound line from the switch you might be able to 'tone' the line and see if you can find it. It might be right iside of the mounting hole.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 03:42 AM   #7
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbeau23 View Post
Yes the switch you have marked as windless is the one I was talking about.. there must be an issue somewhere. Thank you.. the two lights along the gunnel installed in the step down from the aft cabin doors are the ones that were not connected to anything, i think i can tie those into the aft lights on the swim platform and stairs. Thank you for the help that at least answered part of the problem!
I have a 2000 SCA. The left courtesy switch (marked windless in the picture) controls the 2 courtesy lights on each side of my Helm Station. I cannot for the life of me, figure out what turns on the courtesy light by the windless/anchor. I just replaced the light and the wiring looks fine. I'll have to check that left switch for the windless light.
MichaelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 03:46 AM   #8
Ensign

Separate subject, do either of you guys have the "Keep this door closed" sticker or "CO warning" (Carbon Monoxide) sticker or something like that on the back of your aft cabin door? A captain told me I should have one. But I have no clue to what it looks like and I can not locate anything with my searches.
MichaelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 04:50 AM   #9
Commander

Default No stickers on my 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
Separate subject, do either of you guys have the "Keep this door closed" sticker or "CO warning" (Carbon Monoxide) sticker or something like that on the back of your aft cabin door? A captain told me I should have one. But I have no clue to what it looks like and I can not locate anything with my searches.
I don't have either of those types of sticker for the aft cabin door. Looking at my owner's manual and it does not show that warning sticker in the original parts list. While I've often seen similar signs on larger vessel engine rooms, I personally believe that keeping the aft cabin door open makes it a 'larger space' when combined with the saloon - thus reducing the risk of CO buildup. Of course, nothing beats having multiple CO sensors through out the boat.

PJHoffnet is offline   Reply With Quote