Old 04-12-2013, 12:48 AM   #1
Ensign

Default 3000 SCR first voyage question

Hello everyone,

I just purchased a 2001 Maxum 3000 SCR and am considering cruising 7 hours down the Chesapeake and up the Potomac to it's new home. Is this a horrible idea? It seems well maintained and I'm having a few thinks fixed on her before taking her out...thoughts from 3000 SCR owners/anyone with experience on the Chesapeake?

Cheers,
Steven

nevetsyad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:56 AM   #2
Captain

Do it,

Plan the trip, take your cell phone, and you can always break it up over a few days.

Your not crossing the Atlantic?

Now, I did the same thing and the boat was an hour away, and I got stuck on a sand bar.... ;(

so, live and learn....

pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:06 AM   #3
Ensign

I have the course all plotted out on my iPad. I plan on loading up to date maps on the GPS also, so hopefully I keep her in the main channel and don't hit any sand bars. Going to take a retired neighbor with me and split up the cruse over two days.

I'm afraid I'll have problems with an engine and end up having to limp along to a marina in the middle of no where, hours from my house with no ride home. Or get run over by an oil tanker, I saw those on the Chesapeake and started getting nervous. Those things move a lot faster than I expected.

I probably should have mentioned that I've only got one year captaining experience and I stuck to a 30 mile stretch of the Northern Potomac. Neighbor had a bow-rider back in the 90s.

Pascavone, how many hours away have you taken your Maxum from it's home port?
Old 04-12-2013, 01:17 AM   #4
Admiral

As a owner of the same,I would make sure first impellars are new, you have done a tune-up and the out drives have been services.....then bring new serp belts and your favorite drink......have fun..

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:57 PM   #5
Ensign

Thanks for the advice Roger, I hadn't thought about spare belts, I'll add that to my equipment list. Along with a few drinks. Will set out in a few weeks with a little luck!

Steven
Old 04-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Belts fail for two reasons; 1) they are simply worn out or 2) some other mechanical part fails and causes them to break. If you suspect belts are worn replace them before you leave. If they break due to a mechanical reason - well, you just can't bring enough spare parts and tools to fix each potential cause.

A BoatUS or Seatow membership will be money well spent for your voyage, Steven. Best of luck to you. Where on the Potomac will ya be keeping her?

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
Admiral

+1 on Seatow
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:48 AM   #8
Ensign

Also a great idea on Seatow membership, will be doing that for sure also. She'll be wet slipped at the Pilothouse until a lift opens up.

Steven
Old 04-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #9
Admiral

You shouldn't have any issues with your route, Steven, it is well traveled and well marked. You'll definitely want to give the ships a wide birth, regardless if you have the right-of-way.

Once you make your turn towards the Neabsco be sure you stay in the channel - it gets a little shallow - especially at low tide. As you approach the cut through under the RR bridge slow down to no wake at the 2nd set of markers and watch for out bound traffic because there is room for only 1 boat going under that bridge. Line up carefully.

My wife and I keep our 2400 SC3 at Pilothouse. It's a decent, clean facility and the staff there are great!

Dan
Old 04-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #10
Admiral

Forgot to add - if you'll be calling PH your home port (Tow)Boat US is who you'll want your membership with. They keep their boats right there on the Neabsco.

Dan
Old 05-26-2013, 12:53 AM   #11
Ensign

Thank you everyone for the encouragement. I finally took ownership and made the trip. It was incredible voyage. Chesapeake was a little angry around Point Lookout. And we got intercepted by the navy because they were doing live fire exercises in the Southern Potomac main channel and I didn't hear them on the radio telling us to alter our course. heh. But it was a lot of fun.

I have towing via Progressive...think Towboat US accepts them? Or should I cancel it and get a membership with them directly?
Old 05-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #12
Admiral

Glad the trip went well, Steven, I suspect being intercepted by the Navy only added to an already interesting experience!

Welcome to Pilot House.

I believe Progressive only reimburses you for towing charges (obviously they don't have their own towing service). So, if you need a tow you'll pay the full amount to the towing service (TowBoat for instance) at the time service is rendered and you'll then submit the claim to Progressive. Read your Progressive policy carefully as there may be exclusions - like perhaps max distance.

My boat is insured with Progressive, and they do cover towing, but I pay separately for BoatUS membership.

Dan
Old 05-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #13

The question is how much your insurance will cover, vs. what the towing service charges. It also depends on whether TowBoat US will be willing to bill the insurance company directly. I would be making calls to both. I carry towing on my boat insurance AND have a towing package from BoatUS.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:41 PM   #14
Admiral

I'll tow you in, Steven, for the right food and beverages.

Dan
Old 05-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #15

LOL!!!! Beer for Tow. Now that is a premium payment I can live with!!
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:41 AM   #16
Ensign

You have a deal, Dan!
Old 05-31-2013, 01:59 PM   #17
Admiral

LOL!

We're bringing our's back to the marina tomorrow morning, 10 or 11 ish, putting in at the ramp and heading out for 4 or 5 hours. If you're gonna be around stop over and introduce yourselves Steven!

Dan