Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Yachts
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-22-2011, 12:55 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 2K 41 Maxum SCR

Hello,

I am an excited if not frustrated new owner of a 2000 41 Maxum SCR. It came pretty much well equipped but with some small problems.
1. The fresh water pump kept cycling until it died. I say this because the breaker switch kept tripping and won't stay on anymore. a small sputtering of foamy water used to come out when it did, then quit altogether.
(tank full, all taps open, plugged a dripping sink faucet on the bridge, water heater checked and about to replace the pump)
2. The Reefer won't turn on at all.
3. Windlass only drops manually with the winch handle (Retracts just fine)
4. My brother swore the ice maker worked.
5. I gave up on the Bose entertainment center. I got me a boom box

Please help. Any information/tips will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

monb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
Admiral

Welcome to the zoo....boy..these sound tuff but may really be small items stop the items from working....

the ice maker probably isn't working cuz there's no water flow..need to replace the pump...now some people have gone to home despot and picked up a surge tank and installed it inline aft of the pump.....or down stream....keeps the pump from cycling so much...

are the breakers all turned on for the fridge??...AC/DC...cuz it works on both...also on the top of the fridge...there maybe a fusable link installed..now sure what size you have so..if it's a full upright..then a tech may need to be called in to service it...

can't help with the bose system ..but it maybe something as simple as operator error....
weak windlass???...may need replacing or just may need some simple cleaning of the electrical hookups....but you need access to the chain locker fwd...
might help to know where you boat at...maybe someone is close by and can lend a hand....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

I'll take my shot.

First congrats on the purchase of one sweet boat. We love our 3300 the 4100 must be a monster.

In general while all your problems are frustrating as sea puppy says welcome to the zoo. If your not dealing with one of these issues every other week I wouldn't believe you owned a boat. With that said all of them can be easily fixed. Just remove your wallet and stop counting.

On the other hand some of them can be relatively easy issues that you just need to become one with your new girl and know what she wants you to do. (I won't say they are harder to deal with than wives but it's damn close)

1. The fresh water issue could be anything from some crossed wiring, bad pump, or your not getting a constant flow of water. These things do NOT like air so a small air gap could also cause it to cycle weird. If it continues to cycle on and off you might look for a small leak or a facuet that isn't shut off completely.

2. Had the same issue with my refridge. These things actually have three or four different connection points. Pull her out and give it a once over. You can then get all techincal and check if the DC and AC is actually live. (I plug stuff into it and check) I was told my fridge was dead and it ended up that the outlet was dead and that a small cable came unhooked underneath it.

3. The windlass can be one of three things. First, make sure all the rope and chain is loose in the anchor locker. When I have rope out but not a strain on the rope it likes to bind when it's going in and shuts her down. I just keep pressure on it.

I guess the other thing we should ask is if you get any noise or action. Could be the foot pedal has a bad connection as well.

Second thing to look at is when I got my boat the owner had the windlass hooked on it's own battery. The battery was 80% dead so down was easy but no power to go up. In the 3300 there is a seperate breaker for the windlass (under sink) and many are wired to seperate batteries. It would make sense that down would work but the up would be weak.

Finally, it could be dead -----sorry.

4. The ice makers are pretty easy once you get into them. Check water, check the lifter arm, and make sure she is on (our switch is kinda hidden) should be a breaker but also a basic switch on the unit itself. I don't trust the water where I'm moored so I use it as a nice freezer.

5. Entertainment center might be the easy thing here but have no idea whats wrong with it.

Best of luck
tackleshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:57 AM   #4
Ensign

Thanks for the welcome guys. I boat in the Long Island sound seapuppy. Thanks tackleship and you're right, it is too damn close.

I decided to replace the water pump and it is the sweetest thing (turns out I do have an accumulator tank as well). The guy at Defender (I live in CT) presented
me a very compelling argument, that I only have a limited boating season thus cannot afford to wonder wether it's the pump or not, considering it is relatively cheap and simple to replace. I haven't check if the icemaker is working yet. Just glad I have water on tap.

I do have the full upright fridge and is sort of built in cabinet which is a little daunting. So far I should;

pull the ref out
check all the breakers, fusible links and connection points.
look for and check a fusable link on top
check for non-working connections and why.

Am I right to assume that there are separate 12 and 120v outlets for all ac/dc appliances and do they switch automatically once plugged in the dock?

Windlass. I will, as I should, clean the electrical connections once i figure out where they are. But the problem is that the anchor will not drop by pushing the
down button. The star key on top of the windlass has to be loosened, the chains and rode paid out then tightened back so it will catch when it's time to retrieve
the anchor.

I sure can check that the rope and chain are loose in the locker, but is there something I'm doing wrong maybe? I'm sure the wiring was correct at one point as
I've seen my brother use it without a problem. I don't know what happened between then and now. He told me the windlass isn't 100% and how to use it
I figured he knew what's wrong with it as much as I do.

Thanks again...
Old 08-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #5
Admiral

Monb66..............Enjoy that big boat of yours! I have always thought that when you buy a used boat........ give yourself three years to get the bugs out and smooth sailing after that.

enjoy

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:18 PM   #6

Hi MonB66, I keep my boat in New London, CT, right down the road from the Defender warehouse. Where are you located?
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by monb66 View Post
I've seen my brother use it without a problem. I don't know what happened between then and now. He told me the windlass isn't 100% and how to use it
I figured he knew what's wrong with it as much as I do.

Thanks again...
Hey new Maxum Brotha'

I just went thru the same deal with my 2k 3300SCR windless deck foot switches on another thread; http://www.maxumownersclub.com/forum...remote-control......

Replace both with West marine brand they are the exact oem replacement, meaning that the GD mounting holes will line up so you won't have to drill more holes in her. I went one step further since my boat didn't have a helm mounted up/dn sw. so I went with the wireless system.

I love it for launching and retrieving the hook on our sand bar beaches by my self leaving my babygirl to mix drinks......

Enjoy that new boat. Thats a big girl alright I hope it has diesels for your wallets sake!. I remember when I once questioned the price of servicing my boat the first year of ownership with the dealer...He just smiled and said If you have to ask Mr. Gleason, you shouldn't own this boat. I didn't fully understand him untill after 11 years of taking care of an over 30 foot twin engine cruiser, but he and the cat from defender were right.

Replace it when you're in doubt, or better yet get someone else to do it for you......so you can do more important things like Boating

Bella Sera 3300SCR Out.
Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

Location: Liberty Lake, WA... moored on Beautiful Coeur D' Alene Lake, ID

Didn't know Maxum MADE a 41 SCR... are you sure it's not an SCB? Love to see a picture of that monster Sport Cruiser!
Old 08-06-2011, 07:27 AM   #9
Ensign

You're right jeffmeans, it does say SCB on the manual. I will post a picture as soon as I figure out how. Maybe Shrew can show me. I live in Norwich shrew but I
docked a Beneteau...yes i was a sailor...At Thamesport behind Fred's shanty for 7 years. I wasn't going to buy another boat until my friend who lives in Portsmouth RI told me that the town will stop granting mooring rights at the Sakonnet river soon and that I should apply for one next to his. it is a hike I know, but I'm busy enough that and as Bella Serra pointed out, the price of diesel will probably keep my boating to a minimum. Windlass $800+, pushing a button to retrieve the
anchor...priceless.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:50 PM   #10

Thamesport!!! What a small world!!! Are you going to be around on Sat.? I start my vacation on Friday night, but I'm not planning on heading out until Sunday. I do have a bunch of small projects to putter around with on Sat., but I can set aside some time on Sat. to come up there if you wanted to meet. I'm sending a PM to take meeting details offline.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:59 AM   #11
Ensign

Got you're PM Shrew. Hope to see you Saturday. Thanks again everybody, you guys saved me a lot of guess work.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:02 AM   #12
Lt. Commander

the ice maker has an on/off switch under the grill that covers the motor , bottom front!... only works with ac power....also make sure is on at breakers panel. on mine is listed as accessories !!!!
rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:27 AM   #13
Lieutenant

Default Windlass

Hi Monb66,
I just had to replace the low voltage switch on my windlass. The switch only allowed retrieval same as yours.

If there is any doubt to your ability to mess with electrical stuff, get a professional.

Turn of windlass power. Make sure that the connections to the motor are secure. Turn to power back on.

If you locate your low voltage switch, take a jumper cable and connect one end to the middle terminal and with the other end touch firmly one of the other terminals. This will tell you which side of the switch is working.

Now there are two sizes of wire on the switch. One set is full 12volts and the other smaller wire is the low voltage side. You can do this test with either the 12v set only or the low volt side only, don't mix them or you will blow the switch. If you choose the 12v side this will tell you that there is good connections to the motor and if both terminals work (goes up/ goes down) then check the low voltage terminals. You may find as in my case, one of the terminals was bad. I bought a new switch which solved the problem.

I hope this helps.
If there is any doubt to your ability to mess with electrical stuff, get a professional.

Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote