Old 09-11-2021, 01:18 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default 2001 4600 nema 2000

Anyone install NMEA 2000 on their Maxum? Any tips or tricks?

Just wondering how difficult it would be to run the cable from the flybridge to the hull.

Can I run two buses, one in the helm the other in the hull? The few video I watched basically talked about the main hull bus and two terminators.

Really the only thing I'm curious about so far is if I can run one cable from the helm to the hull.. the one helm cable would connect to a bus or would it be multiple "T"s for the different helm devices... the single helm cable would run to the "hull" bus.

I'm assuming the bus run can be a "T", right? Fore to Aft and a T to the bridge.

kenyu73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:24 AM   #2
Ensign

Hello,

A T is normally used when you want to a a single device to a network. If for example you want to install a chart plotter and a ais system at the helm you would use a block. You can several blocks connected together and long as the last one had a terminator in the last spot. I have cables running from my helm position to the engine room on my 4600.

SWEETTANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:52 AM   #3
Lieutenant

I was more thinking that I'd have a backbone fore to aft and a "T" that had another backbone going to the bridge. I now know this is not a valid configuration.

I'd basically need to run from fore to aft, then snake it back and up to the bridge. Basically the backbone has to be a single run with the power balanced in the middle of planned integrations.

I want a small MFD in the fore cabin, run the backbone all the way back into the aft genset area, then loop it up into the bridge. Figure put the power T right before it goes to the bridge.
kenyu73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 01:08 PM   #4
Ensign

In my experience what you are planning is a good network. Have backbone going forward to aft. Then spurs from the main backbone to a block or a unit that you would like to connect. Power in the middle is good.
Sounds like you are planning a big update. What are you installing? I just got my 4600 this year. My big project is to install a bow thuster this winter.

Todd
SWEETTANGO is offline   Reply With Quote