Old 01-31-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 1998 4100scr

Just joined...we are considering a 98 4100 SCR, Going to look over everything this coming Monday. What can you guys tell me about this boat? What should I look out for and be concerned with? Has the Cummings 450's I am told coming up on their 1000 HR service.

We are moving up from a 31 Cruisers Yachts that we use alot, One main thing in the upgrade I want are diesel engines for the obvious reasons...

manzer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:46 PM   #2
Lieutenant

We too are dreaming of moving up to the over 40' range. From what I've heard, you want to stay away from Caterpillars and go with Cummins, cruisers over 37' are dogs unless you go with diesels, the torquey diesels move the boat easier when docking and your fuel consumption will be a lot less. In addition to the the marine survey, you also want to get those engines surveyed by a certified Cummins mechanic.

Good luck in your search!

AlwaysSober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:03 PM   #3

Manzer74, Welcome Aboard!! 4100 SCR is a nice boat!
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
Ensign

it is a great boat, Exceptional price at the moment. It does have Cummings 330hp I think. there is no way I am going with something like that without diesels in it, we wouldnt be able to afford getting off of the dock much.... it showed very well, owner is moving up and wants to do so in a hurry, Engines just turned 1000hr and requires minor service, (valve ajustment i think)
manzer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

FYI, Unless you do the work yourself, a certfied Cummnins mechanic may charge about $5000.00 for the 1000 hr service. I know the 500 hr service runs that much and I'm guessing the 1000 hr will be similar. Assides from valves, all the fluids should probably be changed and the after coolers removed and serviced. I'm not sure what else but I'm I'll be doing my 500 hour service in the next couple months. I had 1 after cooler serviced this past season and that ran $1000 for parts & labor.
dbriceno is offline   Reply With Quote