Old 12-13-2014, 03:01 AM   #1
Ensign

Default windlass for 2400se vertical or horizontal?

My maxum 2400se needs another accessory.
So I've been looking at the Lewmar 700 windlass. Just want to ask around. Any one have a preference for vertical or horizontal.
the horizontal sits on top on the deck and looks good with all that stainless steel but is it too big for the area.
The vertical has the motor below in the rode locker. It always seems to be damp from the wet line or just the spray that gets in there. Is the motor on the vertical sealed enough and made of non rusting parts to be fine in the damp environment to last? Is the horizontal a better choice with the motor up top and a bigger visual piece that might get in the way. What have your experiences been?
Thanks

captsavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:21 PM   #2

There are pros and cons to each. Exposure to dampness is not an issue. They are marinized, spark arrested, and designed for that environment. It is part of the anchoring system, and assumes the anchor and line will be in the water and inserted into the anchor locker wet.

Horizontal: Above Deck (easy to access and maintain, however it can clutter a small foredeck); Small deck hawse(hole) for line; Rode only goes around gypsy 1/4 turn before sending rode into the anchor locker.

Vertical: Below deck (less clutter on foredeck, however is limited to the available space in anchor locker); Consumes additional anchor locker space; Rode goes 1/2 way around gypsy before sending rode into the anchor locker; Requires a larger hole in the deck for the mechanicals to pass through.

IMHO, this comes down to available space in the anchor locker. Do you anchor is deep water, or have relatively heavy ground tackle? If you're just looking to burn some money, how are the rest of your accessories? (TV, Stereo, GPS, Radar, etc)?

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:04 PM   #3
Ensign

LOL. Thank you that was helpful The rest of my accessories are good. It's my wife's manicure we don't want to mess up....I think that a windlass with the line going 1/2 way around the gypsy does it better.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:05 AM   #4
Lieutenant

I have a 2400 SCR with the Lewmar V700 and it works great....
Calguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:58 PM   #5
Ensign

Thank You. I agree and got the v700. Thanks again