Old 05-24-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Which Replacement Battery

So my new-to-me 2004 2400 SR seems to have one of the batteries going bad. My question is should I replace it with a deep cycle one to use for running radio and accessories when anchored or what would be the best choice. I can get an Autocraft Marine battery from Advance Auto using a discount code for $66.00. Is that going to be a POS?
Just need some opinions on a good battery for a reasonable price.

jrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:11 PM   #2
Admiral

If that is what your going to use it for, running the radio and accessories and not starting your engine then get the deep cycle.

Google this and you should see what is out there for deep cycle batteries sales. Most all the chain stores have these batteries. Your $66.00 from advance auto is a deal. The warranty..... what and how long? And make sure it is a deep cycle.

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:27 AM   #3
Admiral

well...one thing I always think about is what is it used for...since your wanting to use it for house duties...then a deep cycle would be what you want in that position....BUT...your going to want one that will last more than a couple of hrs...a group 24 deep cycle is good...and for your size boat is what is usually used ...
the main thing to look for is how long or many amp hrs it holds...the more the merrier...
now the other thing you need to be aware of is as stated ...the warranty....costco has some good batt.'s for marine duty......if your going to get a marine type batt at the auto parts store...be aware that it's probably a light duty deep cycle batt....ie for something like a travel trailer or something like that..where it's used occasionally and won't go as deep as a marine batt is designed to do..

also if I remember correctly...a marine batt. is designed differently than a road use batt......

personally....I'd look for a true marine deep cycle batt. from a reputable store like west marine or bayliner or even going to costco...those are really good batt.s...
think of it this way....do you want to get stranded in the water....away from anyone....with a cheap batt??
just my 2 braincells firing off again.....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #4

I'm going to make things even more complex. Deep Cycle is really the only way to go for a house battery, no doubt. However, also consider the TYPE of battery (e.g. flooded, Gel, or AGM). AGM is the best IMHO. They are sealed, they can't spill, they will hold a charge for LONG periods of time without needing a trickle charge. (mine loose only a few amps over teh course of a winter without being maintained on a trickle charge). Deep Cycle Batt's can be drawn down to much lower than a normal flooded battery, however AGM's can go even lower than a typical flooded battery and still be reacharged to their full (close to full) capacity and still hold the charge, while draining a flooded too low will never be able to be fully charged or hold a charge the same again. AGM's typically charge faster and have higher Amp Hours than a typical flooded battery of the same Group. They are more impervious to shock.

However, they cost a lot more. Gel batteries have many similar traits, however an AGM can be charged like a regular flooded battery, while a GEl requires a very, very specific voltage range and don't always like to be recharged off a standard distributor. Neither Gel nor AGM off gas like a flooded and don't require topping off like a flooded.

Personally (as you can probably tell by now) I prefer Dep Cycle AGM batteries. I use lifeline, but expect to pay a premium for them. A Typical Group 31 costs about $250.00. Obviously a Group 24 or Group 27 would be less money. Group 24's are the typical automotive battery size. If yo uhave room, consider a Group 27. Group 27's and Grouop 31's are teh same size, though Group 31's have more amp hours. both group 27's and Group 31's are larger than the group 24.

Some things to consider. I'm sure that cleared things right up, did't it?
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #5
Lieutenant

what is interesting is that the one from Advance Auto Parts is called a dual purpose battery. It is made by Johnson controls. Group size 31 CCA-700, RCA-875 and no amp hours are given. One year replacement warranty, 2years prorated. If I can get it for $66 bones that seems like a decent deal. I would be concerned that since I already have a flooded lead acid battery if I get a different type will it play nice with the old one?
jrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrings View Post
....if I get a different type will it play nice with the old one?
Depends on what kind the new one is. IE, Lead Acid, Gel, or AGM. If LA or AGM - no worries. If Gel - worry.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:03 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

CCA = Cold crank amps (starting)
RCA = Reserve crank amps (everything else)

I've read somewhere if the Amp Hours aren't stated on the label of the battery it isn't considered deep cycle, which is why they're likely calling it Dual purpose. I bought a great starter battery and a bargain house battery, not unlike your prospect when we first bought our 2400 SE. There were just so many accessories to buy, and only so many funds to go around.

We spend many an eve on the hook. We prefer it. We have swapped all of our house lighting to LED and keep it turned off if we're not using it. The anchor light is also LED which runs dusk to dawn. The only electronics we run while on the hook that are connected to the boat are the GPS (anchor watch - screen on low) and the 4 speaker stereo - built in amp, think basic. We turn on the water pump when we need running water, then shut it off.

If we don't run the stereo, we get two full days of power without running our house battery down to the nub... maybe three. If we run the stereo more than 4-5 hours at a reasonable volume, we get one evening.

Two years later and the battery is beginning to not hold as high a charge or last as long. When I replace it this year, I'll likely go with two group 31 AGM's - Optimas - in parallel, or spring for the dual 6v golf cart batteries in series. I would really like to get another day or so on the hook.

I need a bigger bilge!

Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote