Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Cruisers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-05-2010, 02:19 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Which 2500 SCR should I buy?

I am looking at 2 2500 SCRs. Is there anyone who could give me some good or bad experiences with this model?

The first is a 2001 with the Merc 5.7 FWC EFI and Bravo III outdrive. It is in VERY good shape but has 485 hours. It comes with an alum. trailer and windlass. I am a little concerned about the hours. It is also located about 2 hours drive from the house.

The second is a 2003 with the Merc 350 MPI and the Bravo III outdrive. It is also in very good condition and has under 200 hours. It comes with a galv. trailer and NO windlass or FWC system. It is located about an 8 hour drive from my house.

Both are the same price, both are in great shape for their age, and both are salt water boats (will be used in saltwater if I buy them). Is it worth getting the older boat to keep from driving so far, to get the aluminum trailer, and get the windlass or should I bite the bullet and make the drive and get the galv trailer, and no windlass to keep from getting an engine that has som many hours on it? Is a windlass really that expensive and hard to install?

PLEASE give me any advise you guys can give. This is driving me and my wife NUTS!

Runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
Commander

Cool decision

You really should have the boat you want surveyed and have a compression test done on the motor.Low hours is better only if it checks out to be in good shape and well maintained .Have it check by a pro and save the worry

cunuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:27 PM   #3
Ensign

I realize that a pre purchase survey is the way to go. I will have one done before I purchase the boat, however money is kind of tight and I would like to figure out which one is the better candidate to make an offer on then have surveyed. I dont mind paying to have them both surveyed if the the first one is not good.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:46 AM   #4
Commander

480 hours is a lot I would look for the low hours first .windlass is about $900. so not a lot easy install if you go to lewmar site you can see a video on how to install it.Salt water use not a big deal wash down trailer & brakes.I would lean to the low hours but be sure to get it checked out (good luck)
Old 09-06-2010, 02:37 AM   #5
Commander

480 hours for a 10 year old boat is not a lot. Make sure it checks out with a cold and hot compression check. If you are going to be in salt, you'll want the FWC system. Based on hours and hours alone, yes, the 2003 would be my choice, but FWC may win me over for salt. I dont know how much it would cost to install a FWC system on the 2003, may look into that. Without FWC, you will never know how well the previous owner flushed the engine.
My 2 cents. I have a 2001 2500 SCR and love it. I do not have a winch, but would realllllly like one.
Good luck and have fun!
rgreenwell8962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:42 PM   #6
Ensign

I have found a new windlass on criag's list for $600. The fresh water cooling system, I think, would be around $1K for the parts and then I am figuring around 3 hours to install at my mechanic's shop (best guess). That would be around $1800 in upgrades after buying the boat for that. I would then be installing an extended swim platform (around $2K) that goes out farther than the outdrive when it is in the fully up position.

I just want to make sure that we get a good boat that will be on the water more than in the shop.

Basically, I just want to get an idea of which boat to concentrate on so that I can do my due diligence on it. Then if it seems to be in good condition go ahead with the deal on that one. If not then move on to the next one.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:28 AM   #7
Captain

your going to spend 4.5 k extra on a ship......take a look if there's noting else for sale that has it all.......

greatz, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #8
Ensign

I would be going to get either of the boats myself. Shipping would only be gas for me.

Does anyone possibly know why the 2001 2500 SCR shows to weigh 5800 lbs yet the 2003 2500 SCR shows to weigh 6800 lbs? They seem to be the same exact boat but the Maxum site shows a 1000 lbs difference. Why is that?
Old 09-08-2010, 12:51 AM   #9
Commander

Cool gvw

could it be a bravo 3 plus windlass c/w chain plus plus????? what boat would have the best resale???????
Old 09-10-2010, 12:05 AM   #10
Lt. Commander

I think you should go look at each of them before deciding anything. You may find something visually unappealing or problematic that may not show in pictures. Obviously an 01 or 03 is going to teeter on either side of $20k I'd guess, so it would be worth some time invested to check both out and go for a ride. If acceleration is not good that could be an indication of bad compression right there. Just be wary of taking too much time to decide if the price is really good; I sold my SCR2400 '99 within 2 weeks on Craigslist ; must have shown it 12 times and after a deal was reached and finalized, I had two or three people that were very disappointed by the time they were ready to act. Do both have air conditioning? That was the major attraction to people on my boat, and was invaluable soooo many times out on the water or on the dock.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:58 PM   #11
Ensign

Tommy,

The do both have A/C. That is a BIG thing for us living on the Gulf Coast. Boating season here is 6 months and 9 if you don't mind a little cool breeze for 3 of the months. I am taking the 2001 out fo a sea trial tomorrow to see how it does. I think I will be happy with the way it handles. I am not sure which is going to be the better boat though. I had kinda thought that a few owners/previous owners of the 2500 SCR might chime in here to give their perspective. I guess not though.

I am still curious to why the 2003 would weight 1000lbs more than the 2001 though. Maxum's site shows the 2001 at 5800lbs and the 2003 at 6800lbs. Not a deal breaker by any means but would be nice to find out what the differences are. If anyone knows then I am all ears.

Thanks again for all your input.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runamuck View Post

I had kinda thought that a few owners/previous owners of the 2500 SCR might chime in here to give their perspective. I guess not though.
Since you're talking about 2 of almost the exact same boat, it's hard to provide an opinion (from an owner of that model or not). If you were asking "Can anyone tell me about the 2500, or if you were comparing a Maxum 2500 to a comparable Searay, then that would be different. (FWIW)

Personally, I would be leaning towards FWC over RWC. Aluminum trailer over galvanized. Windlass over non-Windlass, though I would put less weight on a windlass than the trailer or FWC. The boat with the least hours would be nice. The travel time to look at or buy the boat wouldn't be a huge deciding factor for me (almost no bearing in my mind, unless it was on the other side of the country). You're only going to make the drive once or twice.

Consider this (this may make things more confusing), I looked at 3 identical boats that were all the same year. I bought the only boat that had FWC and it happened to be the boat that had 1/2 as many hours as the other two. The engine still blew at the end of the first year. Unforutnately I bought the boat in the worst cosmetic shape of the three, and it happened to be the lowest priced one. Retrospectively, I would have bought the boat in the best physical shape had I known I was going to repower. I did have it surveyed, so it just goes to show there are no guarantees.

Not sure this helped

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote